Monday, January 12, 2009

My letter to Siti Nurhaliza and Datuk Khalid......

There it was.....the lovely picture of Siti Nurhaliza with the title, "Lies, All Lies" on the front page of the New Paper. I am equally upset because I am the type who gets upset when others are hurt and am happy when others prosper and do well.

Although I have never met Siti or Datuk Khalid, I followed the news of Siti's career and her recent wedding to Datuk Khalid. Somehow I feel that I want to write a letter to them......

Dear Siti and Datuk Khalid,

Please do not be upset by the unfounded rumours you have heard. If someone insignificant like me could also have rumours spread about me, how much more likely you are going to be victimised by people with green eyes and small hearts.

Since 3 decades ago, I have learnt not to be upset by half truths and lies. I have learnt that people who spread rumours are either fools who do not realise that time is gold or people with simple minds for they easily jump to conclusion!! Just as an example, recently my best friend Amu told me that someone had mentioned to her that I had married an Indian!!! My illiterate but intelligent friend concluded with raised eyebrows, "If Choo had married, why, I would be the first to know! How come I don't even know! It would be easier for me to strike a lottery than for Choo to get married. I know her very well." Of course I laughed when my best friend told me that the person could have concluded because she saw me shopping in Chinatown with an Indian gentleman! Amazing why anyone should conclude that Indians should only be found in Little India, or Chinese should be found only in Chinatown. Hence if a Chinese lady and an Indian gentleman should be seen in either place, the conclusion: they must be an item!!! Horror upon horrors! The person is so engrossed in her excitement, that she had failed to notice that the gentleman could even be my son or younger brother!

Perhaps an even better illustration is one which was sent by my ex-English lecturer from the Institute of Education, Dr. Clive S. It reads as follows:-

WALKING THE DOG

A WOMAN was flying from Seattle to San Francisco . Unexpectedly, the plane was diverted to Sacramento along the way.. The flight attendant explained that there would be a delay, and if the passengers wanted to get off the aircraft the plane would re-board in 50 minutes.

Everybody got off the plane except one lady who was blind. The man had noticed her as he walked by and could tell the lady was blind because her Seeing Eye dog lay quietly underneath the seats in front of her throughout the entire flight.

He could also tell she had flown this very flight before because the pilot approached her, and calling her by name, said, "Kathy, we are in Sacramento for almost an hour. Would you like to get off and stretch your legs?" The blind lady replied, "No thanks, but maybe Buddy would like to stretch his legs."

Picture this:

All the people in the gate area came to a complete standstill when they looked up and saw the pilot walk off the plane with a Seeing Eye dog! The pilot was even wearing sunglasses. People scattered. They not only tried to change planes, but they were trying to change airlines!

True story... hence people must realise that things are not what they always appear!

My Papa had said that a person's character is somewhat etched on his face, especially if the person is above 25 years old. This is probably why this has helped movie directors to choose the right people for the right role. Anyone can see that Siti is a sweet and kind hearted celebrity. Somehow Siti's personality reminds me of some of my favourite singers.....Agnes Chen and the late Teresa Teng......sweet, demure, well-groomed without having to bare themselves unnecessarily, and very professional. Datuk Khalid too looks like a good and decent person and obviously very blessed with having won Siti's heart. I believe that a divorce takes place, often not because either party had been a bad spouse. It is often due to incompatibility. After all, it takes two hands to clap. I am sure that Datuk Khalid would treasure his fortune and blessings of having Siti as a much younger wife. Why would he beat Siti and even give a BMW to another woman?

Please do not abandon your singing career just because of rumours, Siti. You have been endowed with the gift of singing which brings joy to your fans. If you give up, you are giving in to those unkind people who spread rumours. I would urge you both to continue to be unfazed by half truths and rumours because the truth will always prevail, and there is such a thing called "retribution". I have learnt that people's praises do not send me to heaven; neither do their condemnation send me to hell. So long as the One up there knows the truth, it is enough for me. He is omnipresent and He is the one who will judge me; not homo sapiens. I have also made up my mind long ago, that no one will be able to rob me of my joy and peace .....yes, we can be upset and hurt momentarily, but soon we get back to our cheerful selves and move on. There are so many things to be happy about......the lovely shining sun, the flowers and birds of the air.....and the beauty of nature surrounding us.

Continue to press on; continue to enjoy your life and blessings. Gradually the rumour mongers will get bored by your being unfazed and they will leave you both alone.

Hence, please do not sue for rumour mongers are small people. It is a waste of your time, energy and money. You both have big hearts......forgive and move on.

Wishing you both all the best for a happily married and fulfilled life.

Gan Chau

No comments: