Saturday, May 05, 2007

I Am Drained to Singapore!

I read about the brain drain in Malaysia in Harro by Sophie and thought of how 25 years ago, I had no alternative but to allow myself to be drained to......Singapore!

I had just returned from Edmonton, and was spending the vacation with my eldest sister in Kuching. Since I was getting bored with having so much free time, I decided to apply for a temporary job. To my horror, the Ministry of Education did not recognise my degree (B.A. with major in English and French) from the University of Alberta! Since I entered the university as a mature student, I did not have A levels. The Ministry only wanted to pay me based on my O level certificate! Needless to say, the pay was very pathetic and eldest sister said, "Choo, forget about working. Just enjoy your holidays, ok?"

After Kuching, I stopped by in Singapore to visit eldest brother. As usual, feeling bored, I decided to apply to the Ministry of Education, and to my delight, my degree was recognised. I was given a place for training at the Institute of Education and also had a part time job lecturing at the Regional English Language Centre. Soon after graduation, I was posted to teach in River Valley High School. Immediately the invitation to take up citizenship came in... how do you reject such great hospitality and warmth? A physician is never welcome in his own country, so they say. I did not mind to have a Singapore passport because it meant I could visit China and Israel then.

I have been working and contributing my share to this lovely nation for the past 25 years. Every year I make it a point to visit my hometown in Penang and my relatives in Kuala Lumpur and Kuching. Now Malaysia is desperate for English teachers... I was once the English teacher they did not recognise!

Frankly, I feel so much more at home here than I do in Malaysia. No country is perfect and it is for me to make the most of my life here.

Gan Chau

No comments: