Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I am venerable, not old!

It is interesting to note that when one speaks of the word "old", one immediately thinks of wrinkled faces, gnarled barks of trees, degeneration of health and when everything falls apart.!

Probably this is the reason why people, especially the Westerners fight shy of revealing their age. Now, more and more Asians are doing likewise! I remember meeting a charming elderly lady when I was a hostelite at the YWCA Hostel some 24 years ago. She was immaculately groomed with a white skirt and a chilli red blouse and almost perfect make up. I noticed lots of wrinkles too but she was agile and energetic. Curious, I asked her how old she was and she replied, "You must never ask a lady her age, my child." Later as we became engaged in a more animated conversation and I made her laugh with my jokes, she relaxed and relented and said, "Ok, you can guess how old I am".

"64?"

"No, I am 92".

I opened my eyes wide with admiration. "Wow! You look almost 30 years younger!" The lady smiled and shared with me that she always kept fit and healthy by constantly exercising, eating healthy food and keeping her mind busy. "I have just choreographed a Chinese dance", she proudly proclaimed and proceeded to demonstrate the dance for me, right in the dining room.! I love her spontaneity!

"Gosh! If I have to live that old, I would like to be like you," I told my new heroine.

Mom and Dad were always proud about growing older. In fact, mom was anxiously waiting for the offspring of my brother and his wife so that she could carry her first grandchild. The word for "old" in Chinese is "lau" which actually means "venerable - wise, sagely". I remember papa and his friends addressing each other by their surnames eg. Lau Wang, Lau Tan, Lau Lim and Lau Kam.

Hence, it is understandable that since young I have never been afraid to reveal my age. Today I am 53 years, 5 months and 15 days old. People always smile when I openly tell them exactly my age. Frankly, I enjoy growing older for with age, comes mellowness, wisdom and a calm acceptance of things when they happen as they have happened. I dare say I am a lot happier now because I can look back and see why things happened as they had happened - it is all part of God's divine purpose.

If any of my ex-students from ACS and River Valley High are reading this article, they will recall that I have often encouraged them to discover their potential. Life is so full of interesting things to do and we must not be dead-pan and set in our ways. We have to explore and to experiment for only then can we discover our potential. Hence, now past half a century years old, I have grown more valuable with age like good, old wine. I am saddled with so many job offers! The Ministry of Education often calls me up to do relief teaching in the schools; an acquaintance keeps coaxing me to lead in outbound tours since I am a seasoned traveller; parents keep persuading me to tutor their children and a church keeps asking me to help set up an Italian restaurant for their outreach organisation. Now, someone in the States wants me to write online for his company.

Now, I am enjoying my work tremendously as a real estate agent. During my free time, I love to write and entertain my guests with my signature creation of Penang fried koay teow, Hokkien mee, curry, steamed yam cakes, pasta seafood with white wine, tiramisu, panacotta and mango pudding. I enjoy making speeches at toastmasters' clubs. Above all, I enjoy reflecting over the past and am constantly thinking of how I can improve and try new things, so that I do not stagnate and become stale curry. My life is like a bubbling steamboat where I can still throw in some new items which I have not tried before. The latest item I have discovered is my musical talent! Now I am taking violin and voice lessons! I have just bought a second hand Kawai piano, so that I can play and sing at the same time. Hence, I am not old lah.... only venerable. Kindly call me Lau Kam.

When trouble comes, when danger lurks,
Know that Someone up there is still in control,
For He is the One who created this universe,
He lovingly created you and me,
to be as unique and as special as can be.

You'll discover that roses come with thorns,
The dangerous oceans come with whales and dolphins,
The mountains teem with wild life and lovely flowers,
When lightning strikes, God is taking your photograph!

Life is a song, if only you will sing it,
Life is a dish, if only you will cook it,
Life is a piece of cake, if only you will bake it,
Life is a journey, if only you will walk it.!

Gan Chau

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree :) I would say that you are also my heroine! I never met a person your age that's so full of life! ^^

Anonymous said...

Hi ganchau

Yes, with age comes maturity. :-)

I find that I dreaded getting into my 30s and now creeping towards late 30s... !

But your insights never fail to help me see things in perspective!

Great to hear about your $100 piano deal and see you on the 21st May at your club!

Ee Chuan

afrobev said...

Venerable...I like that. I must admit that I tend to use the term old a little bit too much if Im honest (and that's probably a generation thing) but I certainly don't mean it with any disrespect. I love the more mature person and often find them much more interesting than some people of my own age and I have developed close friendships with as you say the more venerable people. They have much more to say, can be inspiring and it's correct with age comes experience.

The Oriental Express said...

Dear Helen,

Thanks. What are you working as now? I notice you write a lot in Bahasa Indonesia? Is your office near Park Mall, Penang Road or Toa Payoh.? We will meet one of these days. Do give me a ring at 92959363 to arrange?

Dear Ee Chuan,

You are one of those who shouldn't worry abou grey hairs lah. I think at your age, you have accomplised quite a lot and are far more mature than many people your age.!

Dear James,

Like you too, I always mingle with people much older than me. I miss having grandparents fo I had never seen any of my grandparents since I was born.

Cheers to more blogging!