Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Young Girl's Memories of the May 13 Riots

I came across a blog article "Unveiling the 'May 13' riots. Immediately the unforgettable riots flashed through my mind. I remember I was in Primary Six at Green Lane Convent, Penang. Suddenly, the school principal announced that we could all go home at around 11a.m. just after school recess. I was overjoyed. It meant I could take my own sweet time to walk home. I enjoyed walking past the padi fields where I could find some ponds teeming with little colorful fish. It meant I could take some time to catch those fish. What childish innocence.! At 12 years of age, I was more concerned with the fish in the pond than I was of the impending danger. They say that ignorance is bliss! Unknown to my parents, I had saved my bus fares and always prefered to walk to school. To me, it was more fun walking than taking a bus.

When I reached home, I was surprised to find papa, mama and my second brother at home. However, second sister was not in sight. My usually calm papa was somewhat agitated and I heard him saying to mama, "I had told Ean Ean not to go for her sewing class this morning. She's really stubborn.!" "Go and pick Ean up," mama urged. Though papa was acting stern and tough outside, deep inside him, he was one of the most soft-hearted and kindest men on earth. Grudgingly he took his bike and sped off.

About an hour later, I was delighted to hear the motor roaring, which meant papa was back. He related to us what a narrow escape he had with my sister on the pillion. Just as he was reaching Perak Road, all of a sudden, a group of Malays sprang from the kampong and came charging at motorists. Papa thought that would be the end of him and my sister, but God sent a bus to shelter him, and he found himself riding between a bus and a lorry.! Once out of the danger zone, papa increased his speed.

Curfews were immediately imposed. I remember I was extremely happy because it meant I could see papa and everyone at home. There I was contentedly reading my story books and not quite understanding what was happening. However, I realised that the situation was quite tense when I saw papa and second brother, arming themselves with steel rods and wooden sticks as weapons to defend the family should we be attacked.

I remember brother going out of the house and he came back, with his face somewhat off-colour. "Just now a policeman scolded me. He asked me to go home and that I was lucky he did not shoot me for they had been given orders to shoot anyone seen during the curfew hours."

My sister-in-law's brother was then living in Kuala Lumpur and he was also the private photographer of the then Yang Di Pertuan Agong. Hence, he knew many Malaysian ministers and politicians. He later shared with our family how he was driving on the road when he heard of racial riots breaking out in Kuala Lumpur and Penang. He was near Harun's house, and thought he might just go to Harun's house to seek temporary shelter and protection. Just as he was about to turn into Harun's house, a group of Malays suddenly appeared from the house and came a-charging.
My relative had the presence of mind to just drive speedily on, instead of turning into Harun's house.

I remember the late Tunku Abdul Rahman, weeping on our little black and white television, appealing to the people to be calm. I did not understand politics, but seeing the Tunku crying also moved me to tears. I did not understand the full impact of the situation, but I was happy and contented just to have all my family members at home with me. I did not feel bored staying at home during the curfews because I was devouring my story books like a hungry little worm.

Later, we knew many people had died from friends who lived in England and Australia. We thank God for protecting our family during this time of unrest. We lived in an attap house in one of the most notorious villages in Penang, and somehow it would have been easy for someone to just throw a torch to set the house ablaze. However, having grown up with our Malay and Indian neighbours' children, I found that they are delightful, simple folks at heart. Once, they consider you a friend, they are loyal with a tenacity that warms your heart.

It has been 4 decades since the riot took place. The Malaysian government wanted us to believe that the May 13 riots were a spontanous outburst of racial violence. I am glad that sociologist, Dr. Kua Kia Soong, is now making an intense study to reveal the truth. People say that the truth always prevail.

The past is over. My beloved parents, and many of the older folks who witnessed the May 13 Riots have passed away. We learn from our mistakes. However, we can only learn from our mistakes if we have that sincere desire to admit our failings and to improve. I hope the Malaysian government will not suppress or hinder Dr. Kua's research and findings. I believe Dr. Kua only wants to put the facts right so that Malaysians can move on with better understanding so as to promote greater love and acceptance of one another. As I have said many times, I do not understand politics. Papa brought us up to love and respect one another. Papa taught us that to be truly happy and successful in life, regardless of whatever job we hold, we must be moved by the wheel of love and compassion for others. Faith, hope and love, and the greatest of all these is love.

Gan Chau

No comments: