Saturday, May 26, 2007

Unsung heroes and heroines

 

The "Fruit Aunty" of Raffles Girls' School
 

The "Drinks Uncle" of Holland Drive Coffee Shop
 

The interesting young lady who helped when few wanted to.

One day I went to Raffles Girls' School to collect something from my client who was teaching at the well known school. After our meeting, I decided to have some food and drinks at the school canteen. This was my first visit to the school, and I kind of missed eating at school canteens since I left teaching some one and a half decades ago.

I was happy to find everything so reasonably priced. The fruit juice was superb. A glass of fresh water melon cost only $1.00 I talked to the lady running the stall, and
liked her warmth and friendliness. She told me that she had been running her little stall for the past 40 years in the same school. Though her children are now quite successful, she carried on with her little business so as to pass time, and to keep fit and healthy. She has also grown to love the students and staff in the school. An unsung heroine.

After our toastmasters' meeting at the Buona Vista Community Centre, we decided to go for a drink and to have some lo hei as it was around Chinese New Year. There were 15 of us. I was amazed when the coffee shop staff ordered drinks and there was no necessity for him to write down the orders! Wow! Such excellent memory! He proudly told us that he was used to it as he had been working for the past 20 years! An unsung hero.

I first met Sophia when I was running Rialto Restaurant. Sophia helped in her relative's food outlet at the Far East Plaza during the day, and in the evenings she helped the boss of Mitre Hotel as she felt compassion for him. "If I don't help him, how? So pitiful..." she would say. By now most readers in Singapore would have read about the Mitre Hotel saga, and would know it is not easy to work in a place where mice and insects would scurry around. Yet Sophia played her part... a kind heart; a kind deed. An unsung heroine.

Indeed our little island of Singapore has many unsung heroes and heroines.... people who played a part to help make Singapore what she is today. Together we stand! Let us all press on with our part to help bring more glory and success to our little nation.

Gan Chau
Posted by Picasa

No comments: