Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Two Brothers and Their Dog, Goldy

 

Zhi Wei, the younger of the two brothers, with Goldy. In the background is Leah, their loyal and capable maid.

I was amused when my colleague, Vincent, smsed me with the message, "Wish you a merry Vesak Day and a Happy Half Year." Mm....Today is the 31st of May, end of the first half of the year. I have heard of Merry Christmas.... but merry Vesak Day?

I decided to take the day off from work as I have been working hard the past few days. A merry day it will be! I will try to be a merry old soul.... do all the fun things like going to the gym and visiting my ex-students, Zhi Wei, Zhi Yi and their pet dog, Goldy. I remembered Zhi Wei's birthday and decided to get a cheese cake for him from the club.

I miss Goldy! Zhi Wei told me that after the tuition class ended, Goldy was often looking out for my arrival at the gate. Goldy loves to eat and I often brought her some food whenever I went to the house. Hence, whenever Goldy sees me she must be thinking, "Here comes my yummy food!" It is lovely to see a dog who not only likes human food but also enjoys her usual doggy food! Goldy reminds me of some parents who proudly proclaim, "It's very easy to feed my child.... he eats well - anything and everything!" It is so nice to hug Goldy... she reminds me of a big bolster!

Zhi Wei's parents were also at home. They treated me to tea and dinner.... sumptuous claypot dinner cooked by their loyal and capable maid, Leah. I always love home cooked food... it always tastes great because it is cooked with love. The father also concocted an interesting and healthy drink... sparkling mineral water with wild nettles. Zhi Yi, the older boy, is the quieter one of the two. He is sporty and tanned and his parents told me that now he is working harder than before, as there are more challenges in the junior colleges.

Of course, the bulk of the conversation was on property and Zhi Wei's parents shared how they came to buy their current lovely home. It is very well designed and comfortable with just the right built-in areas and lovely garden. They were very gracious and wanted to give me a ride home. I insisted on taking the bus as public transport is very convenient in Singapore. I was feeling very happy.... happy for Zhi Wei and his lovely family. It always warms my heart when I see children interacting well wih their parents. The father and sons went cyling together around the neighbourhood. Although Zhi Wei's mum is a high flyer, I noticed she managed to give time to her sons. Sometimes she would just work from home when the children have examinations or take a half day off to spend more time with the boys.

Being the last day of the first half year, I like to take stock of all that had happened. I am grateful to God for giving me good sales, and also the opportunity to learn so many things.... from my clever and more experienced colleagues, from toastmasters' activities, etc. Earlier, I had spoken to another top producer of our company, Nicole, and realised she was so highly stressed and highly strung. Gosh! If I had to be so stressed like this, then I would rather not be a top producer. I cannot work from morning to midnight every day. If I have been working very hard for a few days, I would just give myself a break to do the fun things I enjoy eg. cyling around the East Coast, eating out with friends, spending more hours on the violin, piano and computer or just visiting my friends and clients and their pet dogs. It is also therapeutic for me to cook and bake. It is important to work smart as well as hard. Property work is tough and competitive.... I can only do my best; God has to do the rest.

Gan Chau





H
Posted by Picasa

No comments: