Thursday, May 31, 2007

To Malaysia with Love

As a teenager in Convent Green Lane, I remember I loved to take out my rocking chair into the compound of our kampong house. Under the moonlight, I would dream and wonder. I wondered how Malaysia could be like a sister to her closest neighbours, Singapore and Thailand.

I came from a closely knit family, where papa taught us to love and care for one another. Hence, in the same light, I thought, Malaysia, being so close to Singapore and Thailand, could also be like a loving sibling. Just like my family, we learn from one another, I thought the three countries could also do the same.... learn from each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Alas that was just a teenager's dream. In reality, things are not as easy. I love the huge plantations that could be found in Malaysia because of the massive acres upon acres of lands that we have. I thought I was the luckiest girl in the world to be born in the beautiful isle of Penang. I love the gorgeous beaches and hills of Penang. Penang is such a food paradise, and it would appear as if it is second nature for most ladies in Penang to be able to cook.

I remember how I was just so contented to work as a legal secrety in Lim Kean Siew and Co. My dream was just to work and look after my beloved pa pa and ma ma since all my siblings were staying in other parts of the world. If not for the demise of my parents, I would not have left Penang for my tertiary education in Canada, and to subsequently end up in Singapore.

Though it has been almost 30 years since I left Penang, there is always a special place in my heart for my hometown. Almost every year without fail, I would make a trip to Penang to visit my beloved brother and relatives. And each year, I would find new improvements to the beautiful island. Well.... I guess things have to improve.... all the time.

May God bless all the nations in Asia and the world. May peace and joy prevail!

Gan Chau

No comments: