Thursday, November 15, 2007

2nd Anniversary of Blogging!

Today is 15th November. It is two years since I wrote my first article in my blog, The Oriental Express. This is my 564th article! My aim is to write a minimum of 300 articles a year and hopefully, it would be great if I could write an article almost everyday which would make it 365 articles in a year. However, I realise when I travel it is difficult to write an article almost everyday, as my siblings do not have computers at home, and it is not convenient to go to internet cafes. I do not wish to lug my notebook with me during my travels.

When I am at home, most of the times I am able to write everyday. However, I do not wish to write just for the sake of writing. I dislike blogs that are just like diaries, where the writer literally tells you where he goes and what he does. Really boring. It is important and more interesting for writers to help readers or enhance readers' appreciation of his analysis and opinions on his subject matter. I also dislike blogs which are full of vulgarities and profanities in the use of language. These writers literally murder the English tongue, and would make Professor Higgins churn in his grave!

Blog writing has helped me to become more contemplative. At the end of the day, I like to think back over the day's happenings and tell myself how things could have been improved or done in a better way. It has also helped me to be more observant, because there are so many things that one can write about.

Some writers start their blog but stop writing after a while. Frankly, I feel that if people sit down at their computers and think a little harder, they will certainly be able to write. For those who have yet to start a blog, I would encourage you to do so. I am thrilled when I read that the oldest blogger, an old grandma in Europe, has just started writing at the age of 95, and is gaining popularity with her blog. No one is too young or too old to start writing.

I am glad I took the challenge from a friend two years ago to start a blog. Blog writing has also helped me in keeping my fingers nimble, or I may weaken my typing speed of 150 words per minute. It has also helped me in my toastmastering activities, especially in my table topics and evaluation speeches where I have to think very fast and speak off the cuff. There are still many things that I have yet to learn eg. posting videos in U Tube, etc. I am grateful to my friends, especially Yetti, for their help.

My friends have asked me about my intensity in my writing and speaking activities. I always tell them that if I had more youth and more time, my procrastination would not be a crime.
Should I "konk off" (go six feet under) tomorrow, at least I have a legacy of 564 articles for my nephews and nieces to read and ponder. :-)

Gan Chau

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gan Chau,
Been reading your blog regularly & enjoy your style of writing.
Keep on writing as it's inspirational and educational too.

I am currently exploring the possibility of switching to a real estate broking vocation, I wonder how I can contact you for advice.

Look forward to your reply.
Lindy

The Oriental Express said...

Thank you for your uplifting comments.

You may write to me at kambobo777@yahoo.com or you can sms/call me at 92959363.

These three days we have our semi annual convention. My phone will be switched off most of the time. The convention is over on around 3p.m. on Monday. Hence we can have a talk?

Anonymous said...

Hi Gan Chau,
Thank you. I will contact you probably towards Friday as this is going to be another busy work week.
I hope to be able to call you earlier. Is evening time, say after 7pm a convenient time for you?
Lindy

The Oriental Express said...

It's fine. Kamsiah.

The Oriental Express said...

Hi Lindy,

I am flying off this morning and will be back on 26th November in time for our toastmasters' chapter meeting at our Dennis Wee HQ at Park Mall.

You might be able to drop me your tel no. or email and I will call you when I am back from Penang. My apologies, as the decision to go to Penang is quite a sudden decision.

Cheers.

Gan Chau