Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Home Sweet Home!

Suddenly, I have this yearning to celebrate my 2nd brother Kee Seng's birthday with him and family in Penang. I am also eager to see my Aunty Ah Giam, whose 80th birthday celebration I would have to miss because it is in December. It helped that I have cleared all my urgent listings for sale and rent. I only would have to commence my involvement with the Toastmasters' Speech Craft at Changi Prison on 1st December instead of 24th November. I will take a five day break in Penang, coming back in time for our club's chapter meeting at our Dennis Wee Group Head Office. I have promised my club members that I would bring back some famous Penang Lor Bak (Braised Pork Roll) and Penang Tau Sar Pianh (Cookies) and give everyone a treat. If possible, I would prefer to make the pork roll with the help of my sister-in-law, Saw Kim, who is a fantastic cook.

My niece, Tyng, is also flying back from America to spend time with her father. I just called my sister-in-law to let her know of my arrival and to make arrangements to pick me up from the Airport. Up till now, my brother does not know I am coming back to Penang. We want to give him a happy surprise. I usually travel by bus, but as Malaysian Airline has a promotion with 50% discount on the tickets, I decide to fly instead.

How I love my hometown in Penang. One of our toastmasters, Aziz, reminds me not to put on weight. I laughed. My relatives and friends in Penang dote on me. In one breath they will say, "Choo, don't put on any more weight!" In the next breath, they will coax me, "Eat, Eat! How you must miss Penang food!" My solution? Eat first and worry later. When I return to Singapore, I will ensure I walk to my office from my home instead of taking the train.

How I wish I were like my colleague, Vanessa Yong, who eats and eats and remains pencil slim!!! She must be specially favoured by the great Creator. Nevertheless, I am sure God also loves Fatty Bom Boms like me. :-)

No comments: