Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Old Dogs Can Learn New Tricks!

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


"You can't teach old dogs new tricks", we have been told. However, Chelsea, my client's cocker spaniel, has proven the above to be not very accurate. Maybe she is one rare and special dog. At 7 years old, she is quite an old dog, and of late, has learnt many new tricks!

Shanaz, my client, has asked me to dog-sit Chelsea for her again for 2 months. I have since moved to a little apartment in Little India. Each time, neighbours pass by the corridor, Chelsea would bark. Irin, my neighbour, had just given me a cane which she used to discipline her dog, Bobby. I brought the cane, and hit the floor when I told Chelsea not to bark and it worked. Now she would only bark when strangers come a knocking on my door. My colleagues and friends who come to my home are impressed that Chelsea is such a gentle and quiet dog!

Chelsea also loves to rush forward and pull me along when I walk her. I decided to train her to walk at a moderate pace. I brought the cane with me and reminded her to walk slowly. It worked! Now it is easier for me to walk her. I am sure Shanaz and her maid will be very happy with this improvement in Chelsea.

Recently I went to the pet shop to buy her a new leash as hers was getting too small for her. Chelsea has put on some weight as she loves my home cooked food.! I also bought Chelsea a squeaky rubber ball and we played throw and catch. This is now her favourite game and she never seems to tire of it. We play along the long corridor of the apartment. I am happy because it gives her a chance to run. Chelsea has also learnt not to come out of the apartment, unless given permission.!

Chelsea is such a lovely and intelligent dog. She understands all that is happening around her. Amazing how dogs can sometimes be so much like homo sapiens! Certainly we can learn many things from dogs. We can learn to be faithful, loving and forgiving.

I am not a theologian, but I would like to think that perhaps God loves dogs the most because a d-o-g is G-O-D spelt backwards.! No wonder dogs are often known as man's best friends.

Gan Chau

No comments: