Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Caged Virgin

I am glad that I have acquired the habit of reading since I started learning English in Primary School. Even when papa took me on his motorbike, I would try to read the names and words written on the signboards as we passed by. It helped that papa was a cautious motorist whom the police officers could never fine for speeding!

I loved "Schoolgirl" comics and bulldozed my way into the heart of the shopkeeper to allow me to read his comics in his shop without having to buy any book. Papa was struggling to earn a living, and I did not want to add on to his burden. Hence, I would spend hours in the shop devouring pages upon pages like a hungry little worm. As my hearing condition gradually deteriorated, I sank deeper into the abyss of silence and despair, and found solace in my own little world of printed matter.

Reading has stayed with me since then. I would read at every opportunity. Now I would prefer to miss my breakfast than to miss reading the daily newspapers.

When I went back to Penang, I was surprised to find a book which my niece, Tyng, had bought from the States. "The Caged Virgin" written by Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a captivating book. It is defintely an emancipation proclamation for women and Islam. The author has urged Muslim ladies to rexamine and rethink some of the practices that have been handed down for generations, instead of just submitting without fully understanding the logic and rationale.

It is a very touching book written with simplicity and style, and has helped me to understand why Muslim women have to wear the veil and why certain things are being practised.

Reading! The benefits are so enormous. We can teach ourselves so many things just by reading. For those of you who have not yet acquired the habit of reading, it is not too late. Start reading now. Cultivate the habit of reading, and you will find your life more colorful and enriched!

Gan Chau

No comments: