Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Badge of Significance!

I have taken up the role of Area Governor U3 for the term July 2007 to June 2008. My colleague, Vanessa Yong, who was supposed to be the Area Governor, felt I should take on the role first as I would most likely complete my Advanced Communicator Gold earlier and hence go for the Distinguished Toastmaster Award.

I love the badge for it has the logo of Toastmasters' International together with my name and designation. Whenever I have to attend a toastmasters' meeting, I would put on the badge before I step out of my apartment. I would wear it the whole day till I return. Being the clumsy and absent- minded type, I am afraid of losing the badge or damaging it should I put it in my bag. Hence it is more secure on my blouse. !

By wearing the badge, I have aroused quite a lot of interest in people around me. Yesterday, a gentleman in the mrt strained his eyes in an attempt to read the wordings on my badge. Suddenly he stood up and offered me his seat. I thanked him and smiled. He must be thinking I am some kind of Governor - an important person! It only dawned upon me why of late, so many people have stood up for me in the train and buses!!

Yesterday, I attended the NOL Toastmasters' lunchtime meeting to present a speech. After the meeting, I realised that I had not collected my copy of Straits Times and New Paper which I had bought earlier. Since I had to stop by Harbour Front, I decided to go back to the stall. The charming little boy recognised me immediately. He cleverly asked me if I had purposely come back all the way for the newspapers. I told him I dropped by as I was on my way back. I also told him about my toastmasters' meeting, and encouraged him to join a club when he completes his secondary school. What a good boy.! He is using his vacation to help his parents run the stall. I decided to give him the book of crossword puzzles which I had won as best speaker in the meeting at the NOL toastmasters' club.

I passed by a road show featuring some Ogawa massage chairs. Instead of going to massages which could be time consuming and costly, I decided to explore the idea of getting a massage chair instead. I tried some of the chairs and the sales staff were very curious about my badge.
Hence I had the opportunity to tell them about toastmasters' program. Later, the supervisor, Myron, decided he would like to join our club.!

If only, if only, if only.........someone had told me about toastmasters' program earlier!!! I only discovered the wonderful activities of Toastmasters' International in July 2006 at the age of 52 when I joined Dennis Wee Group as a property agent! My manager, Aveline Tan, invited me to the first Toastmasters' meeting at Park Mall. I could not believe that TI has thousands of clubs all over the world! I have lived in Malaysia, Canada and now Singapore, and have travelled to some 38 countries! How could I have missed learning about the club?!

Nevertheless it is not too late.! One of my friends comforted me by saying that it is better to join late and be filled with so much zeal and passion than to start early and be lukewarm about the activities! This is why whenever people ask me why I am trying to complete 60 prepared speech projects in one and a half years, I always reply, "If I had more youth and more time, my procrastination would not be a crime!"

I met the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cheng, and told her how lucky she is to have a family of zealous toastmasters. She is only in Primary School and often accompanies her family members to toastmasters' meetings!

I would urge all my young toastmasters to make the most of the training and opportunities that toastmasters' clubs have to offer. Now I can speak confidently off the cuff. This confidence has enhanced my sales as a property agent as well. I have also improved my time management for I am able to be quite involved in toastmasters' activities and still emerge as one of my company's top producers. I also learn to become a better leader when I organise contests, meetings, etc. At every meeting I learn something new! I enjoy the fellowship, great speeches and good food! For those of you who have yet to join a toastmasters' club, I would urge you to join one nearest your home or office. You will be glad that you have learnt about toastmasters from my blog!

Cheers to better leadership and speaking skills!

Gan Chau

No comments: