Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Joyful Reunion and Celebration!

My sister-in-law, Saw Kim, is a fantastic cook!
My koko Kee Seng, his wife and grandchildren.
Being surrounded by loved ones - the best birthday present!
Koko trying on his expensive Crocodile shoes, bought by
his children.

I decided to give my second brother, Kee Seng, whom I affectionately call Koko, a birthday surprise.
I flew back on the day of his birthday. My niece-in-law picked me up from the airport.

Koko is still doing his own aliuminium business. When he returned from work, he was surprised to find the home full of people, all ready to celebrate his birthday. He had not known that his elder daughter, Yann, was also coming back from Kuala Lumpur with her two lovely children, Zen and Ning.
Koko was taken aback to see me when I removed the magazine from my face to give him a resounding "Happy Birthday!" I would usually go back to Penang for Christmas or Chinese New Year, but decide to do something different this year. This is the brother I love the most and I want to give him a joyful surprise.

What a spread! Koko's wife had chosen to celebrate at home instead of at the restaurant. It is so much better and more relaxing to eat at home for we could talk and laugh as loudly as we wanted! It would also be more conducive for the children to run around at home than in a public place.

My sister-in-law's Nonya dishes were fantastic! There were steamed crab, Babi Pong Tay, Hokkien Fried Noodles, etc. We had local Penang dishes at a food court the third evening. I wished I had more stomachs to tuck in all the Penang delicacies. I remember I had invited Sy Rogers together with the staff in our church for my home cooked food, and he said, "I wish I had 5 stomachs!". I guess that was how I felt when I saw all the sumptuous Penang food. We had nasi lemak the next day. My sister-in-law's nasi lemak is out of this world! On the fourth evening, I decided to be the chef and whipped up Italian servings of garlic bread, bruschetta, spaghetti bolognese and spaghetti marinara bianco. (Spaghetti sea food in white wine sauce). Tyng, my niece, made us her special Salad which was unique and tasty.

I am sure my readers must be salivating now whenever food in Penang is mentioned.! Simple! Book your tickets to Penang and savour all those dishes in the hawker centres.!! To burn off all the extra calories, hike up some of the hills in Penang! Tyng and Yann, my lovely nieces, could be your guide!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: