Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Amazing Computer Technology!

I must thank all my friends who had encouraged me in the use of the computer - a piece of technology I had once been afraid of. Through their encouragement, I have learnt to do email, set up a blog, post photos from my digital camera, etc. Since my relatives are all over the world, I am thinking of putting up a camera where I can see their faces even as I am typing. Even then, I struggle, especially with learning new things.... the hesitation, fear and apprehension.

I enjoy blog writing the most. It is so wonderful to be able to pen my thoughts onto the computer. In the past, I used to think that I could only organise my thoughts and write them with a pen and then retype them onto the typewriter. Now I am able to just type immediately onto the computer, thus saving time and energy. I am truly glad I had once learnt to type with Pitman's method on the manual typewriter for it has helped me achieve a typing speed of about 150 wpm on the computer!

My friend, Dr. Kumaran Raju, who helped me to set up my blog, also set up a sitemeter for me. He taught me to look into the sitemeter to find out how many readers I have and where they come from. Recently I was thrilled to find that my articles have been translated into Spanish when I clicked on a reader's referral and he hailed from Argentina! A local reader, Susan Artan, wrote to me to help find a commercial unit for her uncle who hailed from England!
How wonderful to meet her and relatives! Her husband told me that his wife is an ardent fan of my blog!

I am typing this article in my nephew's home in Johore. Yesterday, I read with my little grand-nieces, Debra and Sophia, my article, "Even animals also have pride". Their mother told me that when she tried to get them to read my articles earlier, they were not interested. I guess children always like it when adults read together with them.

I am so glad that I learnt the computer two years ago. This amazing gadget has added more colours to my life - real technicolours. This is why I want to encourage my older siblings to learn, so that they too can enjoy and discover the use of this amazing technology. I hope my readers too will encourage thier loved ones to use the computer. When we enjoy something wonderful, we want to spread and pass it on.

Gan Chau

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganchau

Keep up blogging! You are indeed an inspiration for many to blog at any age!

Kudos and Bouquets!

Ee Chuan

The Oriental Express said...

Thanks Ee Chuan. I am so thrilled that my article, "Just to Ponder" has been published in www.onlinecitizen.com

A few of my other articles had been published before. I am glad to be able to share with a wider readership.