Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Facts, Fiction or Flatulence?

"Mildred, the church gossip and self-appointed arbiter of the church's morals, kept sticking her nose in the other members' private lives. Church members were unappreciative of her activities, but feared her enough to maintain their silence.

She made a mistake, however, when she accused George, a new member, of being an alcoholic after she saw his pickup truck parked in front of the town's only bar one afternoon.
She commented to George and others that everyone seeing it there would know what he was doing.

George, a man of few words, stared at her for a moment and just walked away. He didn't explain, defend, or deny; he said nothing.
Later that evening, George quietly parked his pickup in front of Mildred's house... and left it there all night!"

The above joke was sent by Send It Out Newsletter. Although it is meant to be a joke, I wonder how many there are out there with a "holier-than-thou" attitude that puts them a nose higher than others.? Sadly, many of us are so quick to jump to hasty conclusions without first establishing the facts. Sometimes facts are not what they appear to be. This will certainly be endorsed by those in the Crimininal Investigation Department or Pathological Department.

A few years ago, I remember I was overly concerned about some of the older folks who were gambling quite heavily on the jackpot machines in a club quite near my place of work. Hence, during my break, I would sometimes drop by at the club to check on some of the folks and to remind them not to gamble too heavily. I did not go there to play but to pray. Knowing how gripping the addiction to gambling could be, all I could do was to pray. I once saw a member from my church there. I just smiled and did not even ask him why he was there or explain my presence. To my horror, soon words went around that I had become an incorrigible gambler who often patronised gambling dens.! I want to laugh, because some of my close friends are horrified that at over half a century years old, I still do not even know how to play mahjong or bet on football, stocks and shares.

Till this day, I have never bothered to deny, defend or declare my purpose of going to the clubs.
I always feel that as long as God knows what is in my heart, it is enough for me. God's grace is sufficient for me. People's derision or condemnation do not send me to hell; neither do their praises earn me a place in heaven.

I do not expect everyone to be "thick-skinned" like me. Gossip is dangerous and can be lethal too. It can kill as it had killed the singer with the golden voice, Zhou Xian.

Hence before we conclude anything, let us first establish the facts and understand why things have happened in a peculiar way. If there is nothing we can do to help improve a situation, let us just keep our lips sealed instead of fanning the flame of susupicion, paranoia, unjust accusation and falsehood. If we have to report, let us report as it is, and not add flatulence or exaggeration to the report. If everyone were to add more spice, the facts would be distorted beyond recognition to the person who knows the truth, and nothing but the truth!



No comments: