Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Online Citizen

Wow! My article, "To Teach Or Not To Teach?!" was published in http://theonlinecitizen.com/ once again. This would probably be about the 9th time that my article was published in the popular website. I feel happy, yet humbled that my opinions could be shared with readers on a wider scale through the online citizen.

When I was a teacher in both River Valley High School and ACS (Independent) I was busy teaching my students to write creatively and meaningfully. It was such a joy to see students improve in their writing. When one of my very weak students wrote an excellent poem on "Sir Isaac Newton", I was over the moon. I have always believed that everyone can write, given the desire and the motivation. However, I hardly wrote much myself when I was teaching, so passionate was I in wanting to help raise my students' interest to read and write. Students were free to write on any topics that touched them. Some students were so motivated that they sometimes proudced 5 to 7 articles per week! I encouraged them to observe, analyse and ponder what they had seen and heard. I also communicated with them when I went through their writing. If they wrote in prose, I would reply in prose; if they wrote poems, I would make my comments interesting by doing like wise....in poems! Hence, this stirred my students' interest and also allowed me to get into the deeper recess of their minds. It helped me to understand them better. Even as I was teaching, I was learning from my students.!

It is interesting that as I get older, the less I like to talk! My happiest moments are when I am by the computer, churning out an article almost everyday as I reflect on past events and observation. Of course, my friends sometimes expressed their surprise when I mentioned I ambecoming quieter as I grow older. I remember a client, a Dr. Wong, once requested me to rent out his recently purchased apartment. "I like your style - serene, cool and calm and no pressure to buy!" I often like the properties that I am marketing to speak for themselves. I also respect the intelligence of my buyers..... some of them are perhaps even more seasoned than me in real estate! I rented out Dr. Wong's aspartment within one week. Often, when I market a property, I would only mention some of the salient points - things that are not so tangible, eg . location of MRT, government rulings that might be coming up, etc.

I hope my readers would be encouraged to write as well. It would be great if readers could also start their own blogs. Writing for fun and mental health. It is important that we do not bottle up our feelings. It is always such a great release when we are able to express ourselves in speaking or in writing.

I am glad that now as a property agent, I have more time for my favourite hobbies - reading and writing.

Writing! An antidote for depression, confusion and mental tiredness. !

No comments: