Monday, December 10, 2007

Much Ado About Rain

I love the months of November, December and January. Having lived in Canada for 4 years and having enjoyed the four lovely seasons, I miss autumn and winter. Though Singapore does not have four seasons, many people will tell you that these three months are usually cooler than the rest. Sometimes, it rains so much, and the sun gets hidden behind the clouds, that the weather becomes really nice and cool. Although I have lived here for 23 years, I have still not acclimatized myself to the warm and humid weather.

I observe something quite interesting about the rain yesterday. The sky looked bright and I went to the market. When I reached the market which is just a stone's throw from my apartment, the weather suddenly turned cloudy and the rain came down! A heavy downpour, thus catching some people by surprise. Then the rain stopped and the sky turned bright again.

After a while, it turned dark and cloudy again and there was a heavy downpour! This process seemed to repeat itself almost the whole day! Some people are like this type of rain. They get angry very fast and cool down equally fast. Just when you think that the matter is over, they bring it up again, and get upset one more time. They bring the matter up another time again, and fume over it. Later they get cajoled and cooled down again. We describe these people as temperamental or eccentric.

Then there is another type of rain which comes down like a waterfall!! Overpowering and strong! It stops just as fast as it comes down! I like this type the most. Although the downpour can be overwhelming, yet it leaves sufficient water for the trees and plants, and cleans the air of pollution before it stops. The rain stops almost as fast as it comes. I also like people with this type of characteristics. They get angry very fast; but they also get over their anger very fast and are usually very forgiving themselves. They do not bear grudges or keep things bottled in their hearts. They are usually quick-tempered but happy people who take things in their stride and like to move on. The type of rain that I dislike most is one that keeps coming down for a few days in a row! It may not be as heavy as the earlier one I have mentioned. However, it is annoying because it lasts so long! Some people are just like this type of rain. Their anger lasts for a long time. They may not lash out like the thunderstorm, but their continuous pelting makes them very annoying. They go around with a face that seems to suggest that the world owes them a living.
They have elephant memories and cling on to their past hurts and bad experiences. We describe these people as "kan bu kai" in Mandarin or "kuah bay kooi" in Hokkien (petty and narrow-minded).

I am most terrified when the air is very humid, and it drizzles a little. The humidity makes it very uncomfortable. I would prefer the weather to be either hot or cold, not lukewarm. In my toastmasters' club or in any club or church, most of us are wary of luke-warmers. They are devoid of interest or passion and move around meetings with an air of absent-mindedness. Their bodies are there, but their minds are elsewhere. If it has to rain, let the rain come pouring down and cool the air. Drizzles do not help much except to help someone compose the song, "Raindrops falling on my head".

Whether it rains or shine, my life still goes on. Once I promise someone to attend a function, whether it is a party or a toastmasters' meeting, heavy rain and thunderstorm will not deter me from carrying on with my activities. Let us be like the composer of the song, "Listen to the Rythmn of the Falling Rain".

Once a lady came to view my client's apartment for rent. I was surprised when I found out that her name is "Rain". "You must have a special penchant for rain?" I asked her. "No, not really. Don't like rain. But I can't think of any other name", she replied somewhat sheepishly.

Whether our name is Rain or Shine, let us continue the enjoy the music of the falling rain, and not let it dampen our spirit. Remember, at the end of the thunderstorm, there is a rainbow. There could even be a pot of gold awaiting us! :-)

No comments: