Monday, December 03, 2007

Just to Ponder......

As bus No. 2 was plying around, I was reading my book. When I was tired from reading, I rested and looked out of the window. I wondered what would the inside of prison be like? The only time I had been to prison was some 12 years ago, when I drove my client to Changi Prison to visit her husband, whose signature I also needed for the sale of their executive flat.

I told the bus driver to tell me to get off when the bus arrived at Changi Prison. I was almost falling asleep when he hollered to me to get down. I was somewhat surprised that the prison looks more like an industrial building. It was only then that I learnt from Michael that it is a new building! We met the rest of the volunteers for the speechcraft and as we were walking towards our meeting place, we passed by some new buildings that are being constructed. Cher Kim, as usual with his well known humour, suggested I should try and market those units since I am a property agent! When he heard me telling Michael that I have tons of relatives in Penang, he immediately said, "Your relatives are measured not by numbers, but by weight!" I told him I am the lightest of them all. In reality, I am the fattest. How to be slim when I am often in the midst of humorous people who make me laugh so much!!

I am impressed with the display of technology in the new building. Michael said it is harder to get into prison than to get out as visitors, as the whole place is well guarded. So much precaution has been taken by the authorities.

On entering the meeting room, I was pleasantly surprised by the cheerful greeting of the inmates. They looked so happy to see Michael, Cynthia and me. Most of them spoke quite well, and you can see that they try to make the effort to speak. Some had chosen to speak on quite profound subjects such as "Forgiveness and the Power of Words".

One speaker had even effectively used the symbol of a swimmer clinging on to his stone with his left hand. For him, that stone symbolised his drug addiction. Even though people around him had told him to let go of the stone, he was stubborn and clung on to it. As a result, he was gradually drowned by his own addiction.

Some of them would be leaving the prison soon, and are quite excited about the prospects of tasting freedom again.

I encouraged the inmates to make the most use of their time in prison to read for books give knowledge. I jokingly told them that if I were imprisoned, I would most likely spend all my time reading, so that by the time I come out of prison, I might be able to obtain my PH.D in Comparative Literature. !

It was my first visit and experience and certainly it would not be my last. I had always wanted to volunteer as a tutor in prison, but somehow things did not materialise. I am glad that I have this opportunity to help out in language and project evaluation as a toastmaster. Indeed I have learnt from the inmates and my fellow volunteers, Michael and Cynthia as much as they have learnt from me. As Emerson has always said, "Every man I meet is my superior in some way; in that I learn of him."

Cheers to toastmastering! The speech projects give everyone a chance to ponder; to rethink and to be enriched just by the process of speaking. By sharing one's experiences, one becomes enriched as well as enriching others.

No comments: