Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Barbie Movies




As I was getting ready to sleep on my nieces' double decker bed, I chanced upon their Barbie Doll collection. It was the first time that I saw the dolls at close range. I realised how daintily the dolls and accessories were made. Eldest sister told me that they have Barbie movies as well. She said since I was not tired, I should stay up to watch at least one movie. I told her I wanted to sleep. All of us had "camped" in the master bedroom. It made me feel as if I was in a school camp again with my students!
Everyone suggested I should delay going back to Singapore so that I could have more time to watch the movies.

I was mesmerised by the cartoons. We watched one movie after another. The Island Princess, The Magic Pegasus, The 12 Dancing Princesses and The Princess and the Pauper, just to name a few. No wonder Barbie Dolls are so popular. Dea told me that when Justco held a sale on Barbie Dolls with 70% discount, all the dolls were snapped up within minutes!

Today's kids are so fortunate. Eldest sister recalled how she yearned to carry a doll. Papa was too poor to pamper us with toys. Being the creative type, she would make her own dolls. At one time, she even carried a baby's bolster, and pretended it was a doll, and enjoyed lullabying it to sleep!

I enjoyed the cartoons very much. They reminded me of the time I loved reading comics in the Indian store in my village. I am glad that Barbie movies are not only well produced, but their plots are quite good and children can learn many useful lessons from the stories. When I visit my relatives again in Johore, I must make sure I watch more cartoons on Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Jack and the Beanstalk, etc.

It is certainly wonderful to be able to relive my childhood memories and become a little child again. :-)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: