Friday, December 21, 2007

Celebrating December in a Different Way

It was interesting that last Christmas, I spent my Christmas holidays all by myself in Taiwan.
Although my nephew informed me that he was too busy to accommodate me in his home in Taichung, I was undaunted and wanted to travel around Taiwan on my own. It was my first time in Taiwan and also my first time travelling on my own. In the past, I used to travel with organised tour groups. All these 23 years, I have never once celebrated Christmas in Singapore. It will be the first time this Christmas!

In Singapore, the festive spirit is quite evident. Orchard Road is brightly lit and everywhere shops are packed with shoppers. The decoration is so beautiful.

For me, this December is filled with toastmasters' activities as I wanted to complete my ten prepared speeches in two weeks.! Hence I was visiting clubs almost every other day! On 19th of December, I had a great time at the ACCA Singapore Toastmasters' Club where I was the language evaluator. On 20th December, I presented my speech at the NOL Toastmasters' Club. Wekie Tay evaluated my speech and there were also many outstanding toastmasters at the meeting. Christine Lim even had Richard Sng to evaluate the table topics speakers. We had exchange of Christmas gifts. There was so much fun and laughter.

I have also been travelling to Johore a number of times to meet eldest sister and to spend time with Dea and her lovely children. My best friend, Amu, teased me that I am travelling to Johore as if I were travelling around Singapore. I told Amu that the trick is to go to Johore during off peak period so as to avoid the jam.

I look forward to the Christmas eve party at Dr. Dennnis Wee's home and at our church. Amu also has a party on Christmas Day itself.

I am glad to be able to spend Christmas in Singapore for the first time! I hope I will be able to bring my eldest sister with me to Canada next December for a white Christmas since she has been yearning to see snow flakes.

A little reminder to my Canadian friends. Please do not complain about the cold. Over here, we envy you for the beautiful and picturesque scenery of tranquility that is so typical of a white Christmas.

I guess, on a positive note, over here, we will have to make do with cotton on plastic coniferous trees, brightly lit Orchard Road and Santa Claus in a car as he makes his rounds in shopping centres. Most important, it is the spirit of giving that is the hallmark of Christmas!

Wishing all my readers a blessed Christmas!

No comments: