Thursday, January 17, 2008

Cruel Numbering! Lucky 4D Fish?

Yesterday, I was dismayed and upset when I read the article, "Lucky 4D Fish? in the New Paper. The short article with a picture of Molly fish reads as follows :-

"Admire your fish and get 4D numbers too. Ornamental fish farm Qian Hu has imported 500 Molly fish from Thailand. Each fish is imprinted with numbers, from zero to nine.

Since the fish arrived two weeks ago, Qian Hu said it has sold 200 of them. Each fish costs between $3 and $5. Interestingly, many customers bought four fish at a time. Fish imprinted with numbers 3 and 7 were the most popular, said the farm."

As an animal lover, I can feel the pain that must have been inflicted on the poor little creatures! And how to admire the fish whose beauty has been marred by some ugly numbering! And notice that many customers bought four fish at a time. Are these really fish lovers or animal punters?

I hate it when homo sapiens go to the extent of doing stupid, senseless and selfish things just to promote their own wealth. I am usually quite good natured and tolerant, and I can accept people's unique beliefs and superstitions. However I become intolerant when these beliefs and superstitions inflict hurt on living creatures, big and small, two legged or four legged. These creatures are so small, and who knows, the ink may cause them to die faster? Tattooing is already painful on the adult skin. How much more excruciatingly painful on these helpless, little Mollies!!

If Singapore is to be the gracious society that the government is hoping to develop, the Ministry should ban the import of fish with numbers imprinted onto them. Let us help to stop the abuse of animals!

Qian Hu, please stop importing the Mollies with numbers. Please don't help to prosper businessmen who have no heart for the living products that bring them profits.

Gan Chau

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there

My name is Sandra Leong and I'm a reporter with The Straits Times. Came across your blog while doing a search for Molly fish on Google =).

I'm writing a story about this whole Molly Fish/4-D craze and was wondering if you would be open to sharing your opinion on the topic, especially since you blogged about it!

If so, would appreciate it if you could get in touch asap? My number is 97760833, you can call me anytime. I'll be happy to hear from you.

Thank you!
Sandra

The Oriental Express said...

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your interest. What a pleasant surprise. Sure, would love to help you in any way, as I love animals and nature, and hate animal abuse of any kind.

Am presently back in my hometown on vacation in Penang. Will contact you when I return to Singapore on 11th February.

Cheers. Gong xi fa cai.