Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A Fireplace in Canada or Singapore?

Guess where the above fireplace is located? In a home in Singapore
or Canada?

I was thrilled when I saw the above fireplace at Melinda's lovely semi detached home in Serangoon Gardens!

Melinda, a client, wanted me to help market her apartment. Since she also has two lovely dogs, I wanted to meet her at her home to see her dogs as well. I was thrilled when I saw the fireplace. It brought back floodgates of sweet memories of my student days in Canada.

I have always loved winter. Somehow it all seems so warm and beautiful when everyone is gathered around a fireplace. The cracking of woods as they slowly burn in the fireplace is very reassuring and comforting. I have just received a very rare email from the Dunlaps, a Canadian couple I am extremely fond of. They are now in their late eighties. The Dunlap's email made me go over the moon!

Sometimes, Canadians complain of the cold winter. I guess I must be a rare specie because I enjoy winter so much. I enjoyed walking to the supermarket to get my groceries. After the 20 minutes walk, I would come back and find two "rosy apples" - cheeks turned red because of the cold. It would take a little while to "thaw" the cheeks before I could speak again!

Sometimes, I wonder why I end up in tropical Singapore when I should have been better off in cold Canada. I have taken to the cold like a duck to water. After 24 years in Singapore, I have still not acclimatized to the heat and humidity here!

Whatever it is, I still thank God for everything, remembering that man proposes; God disposes. My happiness is not dependent on the country I live in; it is all in the mind. My adaptability is very important. I remember that when I was stuyding in Canada, many people thought I was a Canadian; now people here often think I was born in Singapore! Adaptability! That's it!

Many challenges lie ahead. If God wants me to give up everything here and be a teacher/missionary in another country I am also ready. "I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today". ( Quote by Allen William White).

Gan Chau

Posted by Picasa

No comments: