Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Orchard Hotel versus Orchard Parade Hotel

My colleague, Mary Phee, had recently invited me to her eldest son's wedding. When she gave me the card, I immediately told her I knew where the hotel is located. It is also the same hotel that my ex-tenant, Yi Wei, worked in.

We had a lovely lunch reception at the church and after that I dashed off for my Toastmasters' Club Officers' Training in Whampoa. After the Training, I went back home to have a change of clothes. When I reached Orchard Hotel, I saw that the bride and groom were already getting ready to enter the ballroom. I was somewhat anxious and my anxiety was heightened by the inability of the ushers to locate my name. "I'm Mary's colleague", I said. Which side - the bride's side or the groom's side?" asked the ladies at the reception counter. " You mean both mothers-in-law are also called Mary?" I asked, somewhat flabbergasted.

Just then I turned around to look at the bride and wondered how she had lost so much weight within one day. Later the groom came to check and I suddenly realised he was not my colleague's son! Sheepishly I told the ladies I could have come to the wrong dinner party! Whereupon, they quickly told me it could be the one in the next ballroom. Howver, it was a company dinner! It suddenly occured to me that I could be in the wrong hotel!! Whereupon I asked if there is another hotel nearby. The receptionist told me that Orchard Parade Hotel is just across the road. To my relief I found my colleagues already seated at the dining table. Everyone laughed when I shared with them about the funny incident.

Orchard Parade Hotel used to be called the Ming Court Hotel. There are so many developments and changes in building names, that perhaps I should always double check before I set out from my home. In Singapore, sometimes buildings are demolished or taken over faster than you can say, "All the best to you, my dear!"

Amazing how we sometimes think we know, but we actually do not know! And yet, we have the audacity to argue with others!

Gan Chau

No comments: