Thursday, January 10, 2008

Resolution

For the past meetings, at almost every toastmaster club, members are asked to share their new year resolution.

I have never been successful with my resolution to lose weight all these years. Recently, with the sudden deaths of so many a young person in Singapore, it made me realise that perhaps I should come up with this resolution. The latest passing away of Jimmy Nah, TV comedien and Radio personality, made me realise the importance of making this resolution.

Since young, I have never been particularly neat or tidy. Yes, I will constantly sweep, dust, mop and even wash the floors but somehow, I have never been able to keep things in their proper place. Soon after tidying up, I will get messy again. ! Sigh! Yet, miraculously, there is organisation within my mess.! Somehow, I would still be able to find all my things, as compared to some of my neater friends, who keep losing and misplacing their possessions!!

Fit and healthy young men have just passed away unexpectedly. Someone like me who has passed half a century would not be spared either. Hence, I thought it is very important that I keep everything nice and neat everyday. I do not wish my relatives to be confronted with an apartment full of mess. I must update my will, write down where I put the important things, etc. Eldest sis and Second brother have insisted on having the telephone numbers of my good friends, Soh Wah and Amu. Soh Wah has told me that she reads my blog almost every day, and if she does not see my blog for a few days, she must call me up to make sure I am still in one piece!! My good neighbour, Irin, also checks on me now and then. Even her two lovely dogs, Bobby and Kenneth would run to my apartment after their daily walk.!

That's it! My resolution for 2008 till the next few years, is to keep the home neat and tidy everyday, and to live as if each day is my last day on earth!!

Gan Chau

No comments: