Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Night the Taps Went Dry.....

I had just finished watching my favourite television program, "Women of Times" at midnight. I was drenched with perspiration, as I had been both exercising and watching the program at the same time. When I went into the bathroom to take my shower, lo and behold!!! There was no water coming out of the tap. I went to the kitchen sink, and there was also no water! Gosh! Did I forget to pay my utilities? I would need to take a powder bath if I could not get a shower.! If I could not get the water back on time, I would have to go to Raffles Town Club to have my shower the following morning.

I decided to go to the nearest 7-11 store to buy some mineral water, as I was somewhat dehydrated with all the perspiration. I met a neighbour and he said, "Water is coming!" Only then did I realise that there had been no water supply for the past two hours.

While waiting for the lift, I met another neighbour who complained to me. "I was having a shower and had just applied soap all over me when the water was cut off! I thought I had forgotten to pay my bills!"

I tried not to laugh. With his scowl and his roly poly figure, he somehow reminded me of the comedian, Moses Lim. At least I was luckier....not caught in the middle of a shower.!

Amazing how we easily take basic things like water and electricity for granted. We always miss something acutely when it is removed from us. This is even more poignant in a relationship because people have feelings, unlike objects. If we lose something material, we can try to replace it. But it is difficult to replace people, especially when they go six feet under. Hence, let us treasure the things and people around us.

Gan Chau

No comments: