Friday, November 14, 2008

Please Blame the Owner, Not the Dog!

"Rottweilers to blame for many dog attacks", was the headline on page B8 in yesterday's Straits Times. I am somewhat amused by the headlines. Has the writer personified the huge, black dogs?

As a dog lover who is almost a little walking encyclopedia on dogs (by my own standard lah), I think all dogs are capable of biting. I feel that there are no lousy dogs ....perhaps only lousy owners. The behaviour of the dog will reflect very much on its owner.

Once I saw a lovely Silky Terrier in my neighbourhood of Dover. Interestingly the Silky Terrier looked as grumpy and as snappy as his unfriendly owner. I would not even want to go near the little pet, as much as I love dogs. Before I pat any dog, I would always ask the owner whether the dog is friendly. If the owner tells me the dog is not friendly and is inclined to moodiness, I will not go near it. Dogs are like human beings. They have their own idiosyncrasies and temperament.

Once I was at Ericsson Pet Farm. I met a young man with a lovely, shiny coated Rottweiler. The dog was very well trained. The owner said, "Alex, play dead.!"
Alex immediately fell and was very still for the next few minutes. I laughed. Later I patted Alex on its head. Alex was such an amiable dog because it was very well trained.

Hence, I would urge all dog owners to read up as much about the breed of the dogs they intend to keep. Responsible dog ownership is the key to enhancing safety and enjoyment for animal lovers as well as the general public. Therefore, if a dog bites, please blame the owner, not the four legged one.

Gan Chau

No comments: