Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Convenience (2)

It is amazing how people in this little island love the word "convenience" so much. Convenience to themselves at the expense of inconveniencing or giving others undue stress and anxiety.

I used to teach in the Regional English Language Centre. My students were so inspired when I shared with them about the great hospitality I used to receive in Canada. After the class ended, one of the students volunteered to host the class party at his house. 22 students were supposed to turn up for the party. However, on the day of the party, my heart sank when there were only 5 students at about 7.30 p.m.! The party was supposed to have commenced at 7.00p.m. As
Jason's maid and his mother prepared to barbeque the satay, I heard her asking, "Any more coming, son?" Jason looked so disheartened.

Only a total of 18 students, only 7 had turned up for the party. The remaining 11 had conveniently forgotten and did not even bother to phone up! At another class end party organised by one student, it was the same scenario! There was a lot of left over food because only 4 out of 12 students had turned up for the dinner. When I saw the hostess wanting to throw away the food, I decided to take the food home to give away to my neighbours and friends. I hate wastage of food.

It would be nice if people remember to be committed to what they have promised, even if it is to attend a dinner or barbeque. Just bear in mind the amount of inconvenience the host/hostess has to go through in order to make life easier and more pleasant for his guests. Due to my bad experiences, unless it snows in Singapore, I now make it a point to always fulfil my promise to turn up for a gathering, seminar etc. Otherwise, do not give an empty promise. I hope that as our nation progresses, we do not become a nation of "conveniencers".

No comments: