Saturday, December 17, 2005

It only takes a spark.....

Amudah and her family gave me a sumptuous birthday treat at the Zion Road Coffeeshop where her sister, Maya, operated her popular Indian roti prata stall. The family is not rich, and I am touched by their generosity and thoughtfulness. Maya's five children are such sheer delight - they sing like angels! I learn how to speak and sing in Tamil from Amudah and her relatives.

After the dinner party, as I was walking back to my apartment, I was thanking God for our lovely nation. I had just come out of Great World City and had gone into the most interesting toilets in Singapore. It was the same toilet with the Dutch theme that I had written about in my earlier article. I kept thinking of the toilets in Nepal and I feel so grateful for all that Singapore has to offer. It was 10.30p.m. yet I could walk home without having to keep turning around to see if someone was following me.

Just then, eldest sister phoned me from Kuching to wish me a Happy Birthday, I told her excitedly that I have started a blog. "What block? As in block head?" sister asked. "No Sis... a blog is like a newspaper... a kind of diary... you write in the computer and people with computers can read...." I tried to explain. "How much do you get paid?" asked my pragmatic sister.

This is my beloved eldest sis. She is vey down to earth and is someone with a terrific sense of humour. Once I brought her to Sentosa Island. I left her at a table in the food court and went to order some food from the vendors. When I returned to the table, I was surprised to find a couple sitting with us and sister was giggling with schoolgirl charm. She told me that the couple had asked her if she was on vacation, and she replied, "No, I'm on holiday". Sister always laughed at her own mistakes and learnt from them. She always adovcates that in order to master a language, we must venture to speak and write as well. Sis is very determined to improve her English Language all the time.

Eldest sister is proficient in Chinese and Bahasa Malaysia and she taught these two languages in the high school before her retirement. I urged her to start a blog too as she is a very good and prolific writer. Blog writers do not get paid... their joy and pleasure is to share their writing with those interested enough to read. If my friends can be encouraged by my writing, it is enough reward for me. Hence if you feel uplifted, do pass on the blog address to your friends. It only takes a spark.....

I have been persuading and almost pleading with my older siblings to be a little more computer literate so that we can write to each other via email instead of phoning which is more costly. But my siblings still have to overcome their phobia for things mechanical and electronical. If not for my nieces and nephews who kept encouraging me, I would not be able to write this blog today. Hence I can understand it would really take some effort for my siblings to start using the computer. My arty farty siblings have no problem learning to play many different musical instruments. Yet they find it difficult to learn how to sms. Their mobile phones are often in the "off" mode, much to their children's annoyance!

Eldest sis is very versatile and daring. She has never taken up sewing lessons, and yet she sewed her own bridal gown and one for her best friend. I was very fortunate because Sis would often sew lovely clothes for me to wear. She had never taken formal dancing lessons; yet she choreographed folk dances for her students to perform in the school concert. She had never attended cookery classes, yet won the first prize in a cooking contest. A natural singer, she clinched the first prize in a singing competition! I am extremely proud of her. Sister always believes that everyone has a lot of hidden potential. She always encourages me to give my potential a chance to surface. Likewise, I have always encouraged my students to do the same. Indeed it only takes a spark of encouragement to get the talent moving!

I will continue to persuade eldest sis to learn the computer so that she can also set up her own blog and bless many with her poignant and thought -provoking articles and stories. Likewise with all my friends as well. You never know you can write until you try it! It only takes a spark to get a blog going.....

Gan chau

No comments: