Saturday, December 10, 2005

The World is a Stage (2)

When we arrived at Sungei Nibong Bus Terminal, my friend cleared her things and went down first. I stayed awhile to double check that all belongings had been removed. Just then, I saw a 20 cents Singapore coin and picked it up, and realised a black wallet was just beside. I picked it up and saw some credit cards and red notes. Immediately I asked the passenger who was sitting in front if the wallet belonged to him. He thanked me profusely. He was a monk who spoke excellent English.

When I was trying to make a call to my brother at a public phone booth, the monk approached me and to my shock said in Penang Hokkien, "All the money in my wallet is missing! Did you take them? Now I have no money to take transport home". I looked at him eyeball to eyeball and asserted, "I did not take a single cent. Jesus is my witness!" He walked off immediately. My friend did not understand Hokkien and thought he came to thank me again and when she found out the actual accusation, she was indignant.

The monk had obviously lied because earlier on in the bus, I had approached the driver to ask him what he had been singing throughout the journey because I had not recognised them as songs. I asked him if he was singing some Buddhist chants, and took the opportunity to share the gospel, in the hope that the two monks sitting on the first row would also be able to hear my sharing. The monk who claimed the wallet to be his had whipped out his handphone upon arrival and I heard him saying, "Aye. I'm here already. What time are you coming to fetch me?"

Yet, there he was telling me that he had no money to go home as all the cash had been removed! It was a blatant lie! I could only pray for him because as Christians we realise we are not fighting against man but against the dark principalities of this earth. Through this experience, I remember what my late papa had always taught me that to be truly successful and happy in life, we must always have gratitutde... gratittude towards God and man... for gratitutde puts us in the right and humble perspective that we always need man's help and God's grace and blessings.

Gan Chau

No comments: