Saturday, December 10, 2005

Korea! Oh! My Korea!

"Your bor! Your bor! Your telephone call!" I shouted across the general office of Keang
Nam Enterprises which was then building the Penang International Airport. Suddenly all eyes
turned towards me in shock and amusement, and I could catch Your Bor grinning from ear to ear as he lifted the phone. One of the Korean engineers walked towards me and almost pleaded, "Miss Kam, if you can also call me Your Bor, I"ll be the happiest man on earth!"

"But, that's not your name - you're Mr. Lee", I protested. The staff laughed. It was only when Chief Architect Kim explained to me that I realised I had been tricked. Just imagine! I had been innocently calling Mr. Han "Darling" for the past few days since I started work with the company. "Just you wait! I'll try to learn your language and then you won't trick me anymore!" I declared. Hence began an interest in Korea and her people. Gosh! I discovered that the Korean Language is not easy to learn. Goodnight in French is "bonne nuit", in Mandarin "wan ahn", in German "Gute nacht" but in Korean it is "Ahn nyong hee ju mu sip si yo"! No wonder the Koreans have to rush when they speak, because they use so many words to say the same thing.

Our Korean staff was a diligent lot. Starting work at 7.00 am. they only stopped twelve hours later. They courageously braved the hot and humid weather of Penang. Communication with the locals was hindered by limited English and Malay, but somehow the Koreans mnaged to
get their message across. Beneath their tough and somewhat aggressive exterior, they are
atually a gentle, sensitive and discerning race. Unfortunately, after two years of service, I had to futher my studies in Canada. It was a difficult decision as I had grown to be fond of my Korean colleagues. They are such fun-loving people. I can reminisce that one of my colleagues had asked me to teach him how to say "I love you!" in the various local dialects and languages. One morning, he came to the office with panda eyes! He had taken a fancy to one lady and declared that he loved her in Mandarin! Before he knew it, the lady's boyfriend had punched him severely on the face, blackeneing his eyes! Like a gentleman he did not retaliate and apologised to the man and woman. Indeed many of the Korean men are true romantics at heart. On the whole, Koreans are a people full of emotion. No wonder they are so artistically-inclined. Reluctant as my Korean boss was to let me go, he was very understanding and even invited me to stop over at Seoul for a week's stay at the Company's expense. I was touched by his thoughtfulness and generosity. One of the staff also offered his home to me. He argued that since I was travelling alone, it would be more conducive for me to stay with his mother and sister. I accepted his offer with much gratitude.

At Seoul International Airport, I found the gentle and patient porter a refreshing change from the brisk and somewhat aggressive porters in Hong Kong. He helped me to dial the telephone and even looked after my luggage as I had to visit the restroom. He even firmly refused to accept the extra tip I offered him. He told me that US2.00 was sufficient as I had only two bags. I was impressed with his honesty. I was delighted to meet my colleague's sister, Chung Sil, who rushed all the way to the airport by taxi afer receiving my phone call. The porter only left after he had seen that I was safely with my friend.

Chung Sil had just completed her university education and she spent every minute of her free time with me. She is an accomplised pianist and entertained me with her skilful and beautiful playing. Her mother was gracious and hospitable. I relished her sumptous Korean food. Relief showed on her face when she saw me enjoying my meal. She had worried that I could not get used to Korean food. It also warmed my heart to find Chung Sil such a filial daughter to her widowed mother. Indeed both Chung Sil and her mother are the epitome of the feminine and charming Korean women. Despite my limited knowledge of Korean, we were able to somehow understand each other. I suppose love and respect for one another is like an international language that breaks down all racial barriers. Chung Sil's neighbours were very friendly and curious about her Malaysian friend. One of the neighbours invited me over for tea and I could perceive the closeness of the family.

Even when shopping in the many modern departmental stores in the heart of Seoul, I found the sales personnel to be very polite and gentle. I could see the pleasure on their warm and friendly faces when I greeted them "Ahn Nyong Har Seh Yeo". (Good morning). Some of them presented me with little Korean souvenirs - embroidered handkerchieves and purses, Korean flags and dainty dolls in Korean national costumes. They complimented me on my Malaysian outfit - the kebaya and made me feel like a celebrity! There were so many things to look at but I was particularly interested in their local products. Chung Sil gave me a beautiful traditional Korean dress. It was bright and colourful and I proudly wore it when I was in Canada.

At Keang Nam's Head Office, I was pleasantly surprised when the President of the company generously offered his chauffeur and limousine so that I could be driven around the city. Wow! What a VIP treatment for an insignificant secretary from their Penang office. I fought back my tears and silently thanked God for this blessing. My colleagues brought me to the fascinating Korean Fok Village and I could discern the pride of the Koreans for their rich cultural heritage. The farmers' band, in colourful attiture, seemed to be enjoying themselves as they produced strident beats in bid to drive out evil spirits. As we were sipping tea in the open air markets, I marveled at the creativity of the people. The potter proudly displayed his skill using traditional methods. The barber mischieviously asked me if I could honour him by getting a hair-cut!

After the Korean Folk Village, my friends took me to visit Kyongbok Palace. My Korean friends proudly told me some of the historial aspects surrounding the awesome buildings and the royal family of the Yi Dynasty. Seoul is indeed a city of contrast between the past and present. On the one hand, one can see modern skyscrapers and on the other are still remnants of imposing city gates, old palaces and serene temples. Indeed the Koreans have the best of both worlds, having modern technology and yet maintaining the essence of the ancient Orient. On returning to the Head Office in the evening, the President was amused when he heard that my somewhat cheeky collegues had ordered very hot and spciy food but they did not realise I was used to spciy food. I therefore had the pleasure of seeing my Korean friends sniffing and putting out their tongues to cool, gulping down glasses of ice-water and beer! Their joke had backfired!

The following day, I was taken to Mt. Soraksan What a breath-taking view! I was filled with envy of the Koreans for having been endowed with such natural landscapes. The flawless beautfy of Mr. Soraksan is further enhanced by the golden splendour of Autumn. I was inspired to write a poem on my return, with the sound of the rushing waterfall still fresh in my memory.

My colleague's friend, Mr. Park, invited me to the Holiday Inn for a dinner cum cultural show I was mesmerised by the excellent performances by Korea's top artistes. When I learned that my colleagues had phoned him from Penang to specially request this favour for me, I was overwhelmed. How thoughtful of him! Even though he wa not with me in Seoul, he was with me in spirit. Such is the intensity and sincerity of my Korean friends. Night life in Seoul is no less vibrant than the ones in many bustling cities of the world. I realise that the Koreans work hard and also play hard.

It had been twenty eight years since my visit to Korea. Yet this beautiful holiday has been deeply etched in my memory. In the very near future, I hope to visit Korea again and see the many changes that have taken place. But there are some things I am very certain the Koreans will never change - their diligence, artistic creativity, generosity, hospitality, sincerity, acute sense of humour and zest for life. Korea! Korea! Oh! My Korea!

MOUNT SORAKSAN

Golden splendour,
leaves drop,
snow falls,
young leaves
peeping shyly.
Dark green coat,
whatever the season,
Mount Soraksan
looks like a well-dressed lady.

Sonorously she sings
as her waters rush
down the falls,
softly beckoning,
"Come, play with me,
bask in my glorious beauty!"

Gan Chau

No comments: