Saturday, December 10, 2005

The green, green grass

My elder sister, Ean Ean, used to teach in the St. Nicholas School for the Blind. She taught the cute kindergarten kids as well as helped the older students in piano, violin and voice.

Under the capable and dedicated leadership of her remarkable school princiapl, Mr. Brohier,
my sister's love for the school became enhanced. Everyday, she would narrate the interesting happenings in the school and I became even more curious about her students.

After my school examination, I volunteered to visit the students. Upon entering the gate of the school, I was surprised when a youth on bicycle hollered, "Hello! Who's there?" Upon closer observation, I was surprised to find that the youth was blind, and yet he cycled around the compound as if he were normal sighted! I was fascinated! I was even more impressed when I saw the girls cooking during their Cookery lessons!

The kindergarten kids were so adorable, especially little Somin and Barnabas. They sang like angels. Little Somin proudly put on her new little shoes and asked me what the colour was. "Red, my dear". Somin smiled and told me gleefully, "I like red! I like red! Little Red riding Hood!" I was affected by her joy.

It was great fun to help my sister with her school year end concert and prize giving ceremony. We were at the backstage, and I was helping the teenage girls to put on makeup. Suddenly one of the boys, Ahmad, asked me, "Choo, please tell me. Is Sophia beautiful?" I was momentarily taken aback, and I was about to say, "No... not really", when I hesitated. I suddenly realised that both Ahmad and Sophia must have affection for each other, for I had
often seen them talking together. Although Sophia might not look pretty to me, I am sure in the eyes and heart of Ahmad, she must be the most beautiful girl in the world. After all, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. "Sophia cantek, Ahmad, sangat cantek". (Sophia is beautiful, Ahamd, very beautiful). My heart was filled with joy when I saw Ahmad's face glowing with happiness as he kept saying, "Puji Tuhan! Puji Tuhan!" (Praise God, Praise God). Ahmad and another student, Kassim, played the duet on the piano beautifully, and I noticed Ahmad playing with great gusto as love for Sophia had inspired him.

Ahmad continued his studies in University Science Malaysia. Later he became a lecturer and married Sophia. They both had a beautiful daughter who was born normally. My sister and I visited them. I fought my tears as Ahmad proudly declared, "One day when our daughter grows up, she will be our eyes and describe to us the beauty of the green, green grass.....

Gan Chau

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story..

I really enjoy reading your blog. It's rare to find someone who can write so well and with such a kind and gentle soul.

Keep up the wonderful entries!