Friday, December 09, 2005

A Narrow Escape! (1)

After having lunch with my best friend at Amara Food Court, I was making my way back to the Tg. Pagar Mrt. Station. A huge tent for the purpose of the hungry ghosts celebration had been pitched right across the field, so that pedestrians had to go through the tent on their way to the Station.

As I was walking through the tent, I saw the intricate paper works of the idols, and offerings like helicopters, boats, houses, etc. and suddenly a heaviness filled my heart. I know many of the poor elderly folks had parted with their hard earned money to buy some of the paraphernalia and offerings on the altar. John 10:10 came to mind, "I have come that you might have life and have it more abundantly" Mr. S.A. Tan is like a roaring lion, and has robbed people... such a contrast from the love of God who gave us His only begotten Son, Jesus to die on the Cross for us. I was praying for God's protection and mercy. Suddenly there was a loud bang. I looked back and was stunned to see that a long steel ladder had fallen and had just missed me by an inch! Can't imagine what dire consequences there would be, had the ladder hit me on the head! I might not live to write this article.! The organisers were shocked and rushed towards me to see if I was alright. I was very composed and thankful and in a loud and clear voice, proudly asserted, "My Lord Jesus protected me". They nodded their heads furiously, in agreement and perhaps more in relief!

Our world is in so much chaos and uncertainties today. True peace is not found in positive thinking, in absence of conflict, or in good deeds. Thank God for His protection or I might not writing this blog now.

Gan Chau

No comments: