Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Convenience

I was at a condominium showing a client a rental apartment. When I entered the lobby, I was surprised to find two cages of hamsters on the floor by the trash bin. I thought somone had just left the lovely hamsters at the lobby for a while. After the viewing of the flat, I found that the two cages had disappeared and asked the cleaner if the owner had taken them back. "No! No! Throw!"

All my adrenalin surfaced as I turned beetroot with excitement. "Throw away! Where?"

The cleaner went to the big rubbish bin and retrieved the cages! Gosh! How could anyone have the heart to just discard these helpless, innocent little creatures! The two cages must have cost the owners some money for they have been fitted with a number of gadgets to make it fun for the hamsters to run around. I can imagine how much love must have been poured on the new pets at the beginning, but as the novelty wore off, the owners conveniently decided to just throw away the two cages, 9 hamsters in all! Why can't they just bring it to the SPCA or pet shops or advertise to give the hamsters away? If the owners had been young teens or children, what have the parents done to educate their children on responsible pet ownership?

I took the two cages home. I am quite an expert on dogs but am not too famliar with hamsters. I quickly looked into the web to read up on hamsters. I went to a pet shop to buy some food and informed the sales staff about the hamsters. She was willing to help me accept the hamsters and put them up for adoption.

In the meanwhile, I thought I would put up some notices at Cold Storage, CentrePoint, for the hamsters to be adopted. A lady and a young boy answered my advertisement. I found that she and her two daughters would make good owners and gave them the two cages of baby hamsters. The young boy, Jay, took home the parents, as he would like to breed more hamsters. He is quite an authority on hamsters! A new lease or life.... a new beginning for a new year! Instead of being crushed to death by the incinerator, the hamsters have a new chance to live.... their right to live and be treated with love and care.

A new hope.....

No comments: