Wednesday, December 07, 2005

We Cannot Outigve God (3) (The End)

My god-daughter and I decided to participate in the Westin Hotel Vertical Marathon. We had to climb 1,336 steps to the highest floor. Since I only decided to join a week prior to the event, I had little time to get sponsorship. However, my students rallied around me and within 4 days collected $780/-.! I asked them how they did it. "Easy, Ms. Kam. We practised what you had taught us..... the art of persuasion. We told all the sponsors our English teacher is so....ooo oooo fat.... and yet she is participating, so you MUST support her and they did!" My principal was worried when she heard about my participation and tried to dissuade me. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me", I assured her. I completed my climb in 19 minutes. The fastest lady was 9 minutes! The slowest was 69 minutes. Best of all, in the lucky draw, I won two air tickets to Penang , just what I would need to visit my relatives.

I saw an advertisement about an aerobics marathon contest. I had never been to any aerobics classes nor did I own any aerobic suit. Even if I had I would be too bashful to wear one in public for the contest was held in Marina Square and shoppers could see all the contestants from the balconies on different floors. I decided I would just make do with my shorts and t-shirt.

My god-daughter, Carrie and I, summoned our courage on that fateful Deepavali. I was hoping to hide myself in a corner so that I would be less conspicuous. After one hour, the contestants were reduced from 400 to about 250 as some did not have the energy to carry on. It was tiring, but Carrie and I were determined to complete the 4 hours marathon. I signaled to Carrie that maybe we should slow down a little and make it like tai-chi style to conserve our energy. But the judges were strict and kept asking us to dance more vigorously or else they would disqualify us! Carrie and I managed to complete the marathon and qualify to join the lucky draw contest. I won the consolation prize - 3 pairs of Nike sports shoes. They were of every size except my size! The organisers wanted to change the size for me, but I told them it was alright for I would be giving them away

Our missionaries from Nepal returned to Singaapore for a holiday as well as for the church conference. Realising that their new born baby would need some wet tissues, I bought her a box. I was given an instant draw and won a $100/- gift voucher!

When I received a wedding invitation from one of the church staff, I planned to give a $100/- as hong bao (red packet). I was surprised to receive a letter from the DBS that I had won a consolation prize of $100/- cash. Later when a friend heard about my lucky prize, he lamented, "My mom and I have $800,000/- savings with the bank and we did not even win one consolation prize. I told him frankly that I only had $1,200/- in the bank.

Later, when I found out that my cell member had damaged her watch, I decided to get her a water proof watch. It would be more suitable for her as she worked with handicapped children and had to take them swimming almost every day. I was surprised the following morning I received a call from a staff of Singapore Press Holdings, congratulating me for having won a gold plated watch as a consolation prize in the South East Asian Games contest. I had not watched a single game and had just merely guessed the answers. The staff laughed and told me I was very lucky for there were altogther 1.5 million entries. It was certainly the Lord's work.

Once I asked the Lord why He had blessed me so much and apart from Luke 6:38 I found another answer during a Sunday service. Like the little boy with two fishes and five loaves of bread, I had given away whatever little I had and the Lord was able to multiply them.

I encourage all of you to give - whatever material things, talent or time and you will be the richer and more blessed. As someone said, "I prefer to let Heavenly Father put His big hands into my small pockets while I put my small hands in to His big pockets."

All these years I have discovered that when I provided an umbrella for others during
their rainy days, somehow the Lord would always provide me with an even bigger and sronger umbrella during my rainy days. Truly we cannot outgive Him! Our eternal thanks and gratitude to Him who makes all things possible.

Gan Chau

No comments: