Monday, December 19, 2005

The World is a Stage (3)

My friends from Kuching, Sarawak, came to Singapore and stayed with me for a few days. Singapore, as everyone knows, is a shopping paradise. Since my friends wanted to buy some electronical goods, I took them to Peninsular Plaza which is well known for such items.

When we were in one of the stores, I spoke Tamil with the Indian staff. Suddenly my friend, Magdalene, pulled me aside, and admonished, "Choo, you musn't fool around with tongues!" "What tongues? I'm speaking Tamil with the sales staff" I said. Magdalene was surprised and looked at the Indian man. "Really, my friend is speaking Tamil with you?" The man shook his head in affirmation. (When Indians shake their heads, they mean "yes").

"I've known you for so many years and I don't even know you can speak Tamil, Choo," Magdalene apologised.

Picking up Tamil is not too difficult for me, because we had many Indian neighbours in Jelutong village where I spent two decades of my life. Since operating Rialto restaurant, I also picked up Hindi from my regular Indian customers. I also enjoy Hindi and Tamil movies which are extremely popular with Penangnites. A good Indian movie could run for one whole year in the cinema! The plots are usually excellent, and for those who love the arts, they will find the songs and dances to be colourful and interesting. I now have two Mongolian sisters staying with me and they too have become Indian movie fans. Almost every Sunday evenings, we watch our favourite Hindi movies on Central Channel. Baaska and Chimdee also agree that the Indian actors and actresses are very good looking. I always tell my Indian friends that God must have been in His best mood when He created Indians for they have been most beautifully made!

I suddenly recall the choruses I used to sing in Sunday School in Penang.
"Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the World!"

How comforting to know that the Creator loves everyone, regardless of his looks and colour of his skin. What a unique and colourful world we live in!

Gan Chau

__________________________________________________

No comments: