Sunday, December 04, 2005

The World is a Stage (1)

I was brought up in Penang in a village notorious for its gangsters. Mention, "Jelutong" and the rich and learned would tremble. I remember once my lawyer boss,
Ms. P. Ong, gave me a ride home, and when she realised I lived in Jelutong,
she suddenly became fearful and asked whether she could drop me off at a "safe"
location! I remember it took me some 30 minutes to complete the journey home by my ahem! No. 11 BMW!

The boys and men in Jelutong were naturally pugilistic, but they were full of respect where respect was due. They loved my papa, for papa always had a smile and kind words for people irrespective of their backgrounds. We enjoyed playing with the
neighbourhood kids of all races ...... rough games like Police and Robber and Hit the Hole to name a few. Punishement meted out for the loser could involve free calligraphy work on the face and bodies (for the boys). It would be quite funny to see faces and bodies painted almost black, with some strokes looking like Chinese characters! For the Indians, we had to use chalk instead of black ink.!

I remember once, papa chided my eldest brother who refused to sit in the 3rd class
section of the cinema. (Papa had to contend with 3rd class because all the seats in the 1st and 2nd class were taken). "Oh! , I don't want to sit with ruffians" eldest brother lamented. Brother had just returned from his graduation in London, and had unfortunately picked up some British airs as well. "Son, never judge a book by its cover.... remember the story of the mouse and the lion.? One day the mouse can help and repay the lion", papa reasoned.

Despite Jelutong being a notorious village, it has produced some remarkable
personalities. One of the boys won the Esso Scholarship for being the one with
the highest score for his Higher School Certificate of Examination in Malaysia. We also had Pai Ling, the village belle, who won the Miss Malaysia/Miss World title
in 1965! Also my own brother, who won a scholarship from Lee Rubber Co. to study music at the Royal Academy of Music in London. He later became famous for his
achievements in violin, composition and art.

We were like the wild flowers and plants growing on the mountain side, but the
Creator saw to it that we were protected. Once a coconut tree almost fell onto our house, but it fell onto our grouchy neighbour's house instead! Together with two other neighbours we had requested old Mr. Lee to chip in to chop the tree. (In those
days you would have to pay MR75/- to chop down a tree). Mr. Lee blatantly refused
and even said he would like to see on whose house the tree would fall! Luckily no
one was injured. The family were saved because they were in the kitchen when the tree fell down. Old Mr. Lee spent nearly $3,000/- to put the house together again.

At papa's funeral, it was touching to see so many burly looking, heavily tatooed
gangsters coming to our home to pay their respects. Many were sobbing
unashamedly as they shared of how papa had helped and encouraged them. At the funeral were also the Chief Police Commissioner and other dignitaries.

I am glad to have been brought up in Jelutong for it has made me more
down to earth and accepting of people. Due to papa's influence, I am as
comfortable with royalty as I am with gangsters, prostitutes, and the illiterate.
My best friend, Amudah, is illiterate, but I love and respect her, and have learnt
a lot from her. Papa always advised us that there is no necessity to look up or
look down on anyone. Just accept people as they are for truly the world is a stage
where every man plays his part. Papa always advised us to play our part well on this
big stage of life.

Gan Chau

No comments: