Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Kamlette

If you have not yet read this article which was published in the Family Tree, a now defunct
magazine, please proceed to read about Kamlette.

One day, as I was coming out of the staffroom, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw three of the upper secondary boys carrying a puppy each. "Madam, we found these puppies by the swamp in Pasir Ris. Will you adopt one puppy?" persuaded the boys. Apparently, they had gone for a geographical expedition and the discovery of six abandoned puppies so moved them that they momentarily forgot the purpose for which they had come.

I was about to protest. I hardly have enough time to sleep, let alone adopt a puppy. However, when I saw the cute little brown bundle of fur shivering with cold, my heart went to the poor animal Just then, my form class boys were jogging around the Quadrangle. One of them, Jerel, a lover of dogs and a would-be vet when he grows up encouraged, "Take it, Madam. Good dog. Don't worry! I'll bring it to the vet and have it vaccinated and dewormed. I'll nurse it back to health, and after one week, you'll have nice and healthy pet." No wonder my friends have told me that the boys in my school have the gift of the gab.

After one week, Jerel brought back the puppy and with it a whole paraphernalia of feeding bottle, syringe, medication, food container and a recipe of how to prepare food for the forever sleepy puppy.

At first I thought the puppy was a male and I called it "King". Later I found that it was a female, so I changed her name to "Queen". One day, I detected some mischievious grins in my class. "Madam, we give you two names to choose for your dog. You may call her "Kamster" or "Kamlet", suggested Darryl and Kenneth. I thought Kamster sounded like gangster, and Kamlet reminded me of Hamlet. Hmm.... very intellectual! Since the dog is a female, I decided to spell her name as 'Kamlette".

The vet confirmed that Kamlette is a cross between a Golden Retreiver and a Collie. As a first time pet owner, I was not aware that when you train a dog, you should use only one or two words. I used complete sentences! When Kamlette sometimes became too playful, I would say, "That is enough!" She would quickly lie down and put her front legs together in submission. She soon learnt to understand some instructions in Mandarin as well. Like a typical Golden Retriever, Kamlette is affectionate and loves to greet my guests with a kiss! WheneverI asked her to kiss me, she would give me a peck on the cheek. She loves to play tug-of-war, catching and hide- and- seek.

Kamlette likes to eat everything except dog food. She loves to eat chicken curry, Penang char kuay teow and chappati. She acquired the taste for spicy food through my Indian tenant, who shared his Chappati dinner with her when I was away for a week's camp. Perhaps she might be a good advertisement for KFC for Colonel Sanders would be thrilled with the way she smacks her lips with her tongue after a treat of fried chicken. Somehow, Kamlette instinctively knows that whatever humans eat, they must be good!

Kamlette is now two years old. She is indeed a blessed doggy because she has won a total of fourteen lucky prizes for the food I had bought for her.

What is the purpose of writing this article? I hope that more Singaporean parents will encourage their children to keep pets, or even allow pets to be kept when their children ask for additional 4-legged friends to be added to the home.

Whenever I take my dog for a walk, I notice that many local parents would tell their children to keep away from the dog. No wonder some children grow up with a phobia for dogs. In sharp contrast, the Caucasians would encourage their children to pet and stroke my dog.

One of my friends, Rita, told me that her mother used to dislike dogs because of a bad childhood experience. However, when her sister had a lovely poodle, Pepe, her mother began to get very fond of the dog, and soon overcame her phobia. In my friend's own words, "Pepe turned the world around for the whole family." Some parents are afraid of pets messing up the house, but what is a little mess compared to the tremendous joy and benefits that a family can have?

I have benefitted a lot from my dog. I found that I have actually become healthier and more
relaxed. No matter how busy I am, I will ensure that I take a few minutes to walk or run my dog. Needless to say, as my dog exercises, so do I. It is indeed therapeutic. In America, volunteers have often brought in their pet dogs to cheer up the residents in retirement homes. Pets are certainly good medicine. I have also developed a greater sense of responsibility. I owe it to my pet to look after her well.

Once I counted the variety of fur that Kamlette has. I was amazed by the different textures and variety. Her fur on the face gives a velvety touch. When she gets excited during a catching game, her central mane will stand on end. As she is a mixed retriever, some of her fur look like golden threads.

I have since become more philosophical, after adopting Kamlette as my pet. A dog lives about eight to sixteen years, yet it is made uniquely and so beautifully. Dogs are reputed to be extremely faithful to their masters. Yet, how faithful are we? Some of us let down our friends and all those who trust us.

How I wish I had a pet dog much earlier, for when Kamlette came into my life, I was already 37!
In giving the poor, abandoned puppy a new lease of life, I realise that I have also given myself a new lease of life - of awarenes, of excitement and appreciation of the things around me. Kamlette has enhanced my love for the Creator and His beautiful handiwork. Whenever I feel sad or disappointed, I would look at my pet and bounce back to joy and optimism.

As parents, you can be the giver of life, of joy, of character-building and responsibility to your child. Do not worry about messy homes. Help your child to grow up more appreciative of the world around him, and you will soon find that he will learn to clean up the mess in the home as well as in his own life.

Gan Chau

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This must be a really old article. Jerel was my classmate and we're all now a stately 28. I met him earlier this year and he's involved in a number of businesses, one of which involves the import and sale of dog food. I also kind of remember the story, I think I was 13 or 14 at the time.