Friday, August 17, 2007

And I'll Be There....

When Winson Lim, a very active and dynamic toastmaster asked for help with judging at speech contests, I invited Jeffrey Williams, a responsible and helpful toastmaster.

Jeffrey immediately replied, "Thanks for the invitation and I'll be there."

How lovely and comforting to the ears when someone says, "I'll be there". This is especially so in Singapore where everyone is always so busy. I remember I used to teach English for Business in the Regional English Language Centre. I had just returned from Canada, and was not used to the lack of hospitality in this country. People are just too busy to cook and invite friends home for a meal. I shared with the class how hospitable the Canadians were. One of the students was so encouraged that he decided to open his home up for the class party when the course ended. 24 students promised to turn up. At the party, as the time was getting later and later, and there was only a turn out of half the class, the host became disheartened. His mother kept asking, "Any more coming?" We looked anxiously at the huge amount of food that had been prepared....sticks of delicious satay, lontong, salad, noodles, desserts, etc. 15 students turned up....the remaining 9 conveniently absented themselves with not even an apology!

It was the same for another class. The hostess wanted to throw away all the remaining food which I quickly collected to give to my neighbours! Papa had brought us up never to discard food unnecessarily!

Hence, whenever I cook for a party I would always discount a small number who somehow would not be able to turn up. Having realised how difficult it is for a hostess to prepare, cater or cook, I always make sure that once I promise I would turn up, I would race and heaven and earth just "to be there" for the gracious hostess.

The same thing applies to toastmasters' activities. Once I promise to take on an appointment, "I will be there", even if a buyer dangles a cheque before me to close a property! We must always prioritise a promise and a committment. I guess this is the reason why the Exco of Changi AIA Toastmasters' Club are quite stringent on their rules. If a speaker or an appointment holder could not turn up after having been given a slot, he/she will be barred for one year!

Let us always be there when we say we will be there. Let us not be too busy with our daily schedules that we are so encompassed with our own life. When we look inwards, our world is very small, but when we extend ourselves and look outwards, our life becomes more challenging and exciting! Let us say to at least one person/organisation, "I'll be there whenever you need me".

Gan Chau

No comments: