Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Yours truly, Uniquely Malaysia (1)

My sister is on vacation and staying with me right now. She only enjoys playing games on the computer. Not bad for a start. In contrast, I do not like to play computer games. Whenever I come across interesting articles on the web or those that were sent by my friends, I would call for her attention. I recently came across an interesting post by the mediaslut in Harro, website for famous influential bloggers. Here it is.


DEAD MAN'S PHONE BILL WILL HELP IMPROVE MALAYSIA'S GDP BY THE TRILLIONS!

How much of a SMS, talk time on a mobile phone and 3G data would a dead man need to use in order to have a bill totaling a few TRILLION Ringgit?

USA Today picked up the news from the New Straits Times that a Malaysian “received a USD$218 trillion phone bill and was ordered to pay up within 10 days or face prosecution “.

The report also reported that the bill belongs to the Malaysian’s late father who passed away in January 2007 and the account was closed since.

The bill total? 806,400,000,000,000.01 ringgit!

If the bill was already in the trillion of ringgit, one would have thought that with good customer service Telekom Malaysia would do away with the 0.01 ringgit.

Oh gosh! The things they do in Malaysia! Sometimes in a cute and humorous way too.
Telekom Malaysia is so exact and detailed that the bill even came to an ending of one Malaysian cent! After this, perhaps it would be easier for my friends to believe me when I tell them that my identity card age is one year more than my biological age. For six years in Primary School I often wondered why I was always the smallest and shortest in class. One day, I brought this to my papa's attention and only then did he explain the mistake made at the Registry of Birth and Death.
The officer had written down the year by mistake. Since papa thought it meant I could go to school a year earlier, he did not bother to correct the officer! As my birthday fell on 12th December, it meant that I was almost two years younger than many of my classmates especially those who were born in January and February!

Since I enjoy growing older faster, I always give people the age as stipulated in my identity card. Saves me the trouble of telling a long story lah! I guess this mistake pales in comparison to the Malaysian man who was set ten years older! If I were this man, papa would probably have done something about the mistake!

1 comment:

The anonymous blogger said...

Hello Aunty Choo! No lah choy what coffins?! They're piano keys lah. Haha.