Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Yours Truly, Uniquely Singapore (12)

Papa had 6 children. He sent the older three to Chinese schools, and the younger three to English schools. Being the youngest, I fell under the second category. I suppose papa had wanted his children to be trilingual, if not at least bilingual. But somehow I never had the chance to study Chinese. I picked up some Mandarin while studying in Canada. I had two scholars from China who shared a flat with me... hence when I came to Singapore, people often wondered about my Mandarin with a Beijing accent!

While studying in Canada, I learnt about Lu Shun, Li Bai, Tu Fu, etc. and was enthralled when I found that the University of Alberta was offering courses in Chinese Literature (in English). Naturally I took up some courses.

A colleague, Elena Ho, recently sent me this email on Lee Bai's poem. There was no acknowledgement of writer's name. However, I can safely conclude that they must be written by a Singaporean or Singaporeans. Singaporeans have unique ways of expressing themselves. After reading the version by Osama and Bush, I could not help adding my version on MM Lee Kuan Yew.

Lee Bai's Poem



(Chinese Version)

Chuang qian ming yue guang

Yi shi di shang shuang

Ju tou wang ming yue

Di tou shi gu xiang


(English Version)

The moon light is pouring down
on my bedside

Like white frost spreading
on the ground

I look up the bright round
moon in the sky

And lower my head thinking
of my dear hometown


(Singlish (Phua Chu Kang) Version)

Bedfront Moon Bright Bright

Think Is Floor White White

Lift Head See Moon Moon

Bow Head Miss Home Home...




(Ah-Beng Version)

Bedfront Orr Pi Sai (pick nose)

Think Think Go Pang Sai (think of going to the toilet_

Pick Up Tai Gor Tai (handphone)

BS While Lau Sai (bull shit while having diarrhoea).





(Latest Reservist Army Version)

Bedfront Lau Bark Sai (tears
drop)

Thinking About Exercise(reservist
mobilization)

Drop Dead Look Into The Sky
(run until no breath)

Sim Kor Sia Lang Zai? (my heartache
nobody knows)





(Osama version)

No friend at my side

Think think Bush will fight

Lift head but where to hide?

This time don't know when will
die?





(Bush version)

Can't sleep since that night

Think think where he hide?

Bomb bomb friends will say
I pai (pai - wicked)

No choice ask them go fly kite



MM Lee Kuan Yew's version


Bedside with lovely moonlight,

At 42 years old, Singapore is really bright.

Lift head, see my lovely nation,

May everyone have a great celebration!

Gan Chau

4 comments:

JerL said...

Your version is the most beautifully written!!! What a nice one for national day!

The Oriental Express said...

Thanks Jerl.

I have always loved Singapore, although I was not born here.

I have to write something beautiful befitting a great man like MM Lee.

The others are attempting more on humour.

Amazing how Li Bai could write such lovely poems in his drunkun stupor!!!

I wish I could read Chinese. All translations, no matter how well done, could never do justice to the original script. But close....
Chinese is such a beautiful language!

Anonymous said...

lol !! Keep on writing.

your mega fan in canada,
bluela

The Oriental Express said...

Bluela,

I have often wondered who you are, because someone from Canada, often logs into my blog.

Are you from Malaysia/Singaspore studying in Canada? Which part - Windsor, Edmonton, Calgary?

Do write and tell me more about yourself?