Monday, August 13, 2007

Best and Cheapest - Laksa in Orchard Area

   
The lovely lady, Mdm Tan, who cooks the laksa "with her heart".

If you are around Sommert MRT station, and you are budget-conscious and a laksa lover like me, visit the staff canteen at Singtel Building on Exeter Road. The canteen, at the basement, is also open to the public, although the Singtel staff get a little discount off the public price. Still, where else can you get $2.00 per bowl for delicious laksa?

As I do not like cockles, I specially request the lady not to put them. I also prefer the finer type of mee hoon and have it mixed with yellow noodles. We Penangnites, do not like the thicker type of mee hoon that Singaporeans prefer. Since I also do not like fish cake, the lady replaces them with prawns for me. I am impressed that after my first order, she remembers my special preference! The stall is also very clean. I had read a review on Mdm Tan, and Lee Hsien Yang is also one of her regular customers!

The gravy has just the right touch of coconut milk - not too rich. I used to frequent this stall for breakfast when I was living around Killiney Road. Now I still visit the lady when I am around the vicinity. Try it! It is tastier and more economical than the Depot Road Laksa which charges $5.00 per bowl, and $6.90 if you want some prawns added!

Gan Chau

Posted by Picasa

No comments: