Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Fantastic Maths!

Sometimes when I think of the uniqueness of people in this little dot on the world map, I would smile. Of late, I have been pondering over the "fantastic maths" of our people.

When the government increased the GST to 7%, which simply translates an increase of 2% over the previous GST amount of 5%, many businesses also started to increase their prices!

Yesterday, I went to my favourite Yong Tau Foo Cafeteria at Cuppage Road Plaza, and immediately the lady alerted me to the price increase. Of course, my eagle eyes had spotted the words, "One piece - 60 cents". It used to be 8 pieces for $3.50 and the operators increased the price to 7 pieces for $3.50. Now it would be $4.20 for the same 7 pieces. I looked around, inhaled deeply and smiled at the lady. Calmly I walked away, choosing to have lunch at the nearby Isle Cafe. Is it any wonder that Isle Cafe is as crowded as before, because the operators did not increase their price. In sharp contrast, the Yong Tau Foo Cafeteria had a much smaller crowd...a far cry from the usual crowd.

However, I guess the crowd will come back again, after customers get used to the new increased price.! As for me, I will continue to be more diligent in my home cooking! May also end up making my own Yong Tau Foo with fresh fish from Tekka Market. :-) Join me....any one?

Gan Chau

No comments: