Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Will It Ever Snow in Singapore?

Sometimes when the weather gets really humid and warm, I think of the lovely, cold winter which I love so much when I was studying in Canada. I took to the cold like a duck to water.

Of course, it helped that God has blessed me with natural double insulation, so that I could go around dressed with minimal clothes and not get bloated up with padded clothings!

I remember how I would gulp down my hot coffee and made a beeline for lectures. As the lecture rooms and theatres were connected by passageways to my apartment, I often did not have to bring along my coats. I would dash into the classes, with beads of perspiration much to the astonishment of my classmates.! At that time, I did not own any pair of jeans....I mostly wore skirts! Some of the students regarded me as a freak; some even thought I was an Eskimo from Alaska! Those who knew me were shocked I was from Malaysia.

Once I was in Quebec in June, during the summer holidays, on a month French Immersion Program organised by the University of Alberta. We were so surprised to wake up one morning to find snow on the ground! We sang Jingle Bells, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, and were in high spirit because we never expected snow in summer. I guess I was the happiest for I thought if it could snow in summer.....who knows....one day it might really snow in Malaysia and Singapore!

With the weather becoming more chaotic, who knows, one day it might really snow in Singapore!!

Gan Chau

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooo that is deepest wish as well. I love winter with all the snow covering everything.

Singapore is hot and humid. I miss US for that very reason.