Saturday, August 25, 2007

Why Can't Faith Be As Small as a Marble?

When I first started going to Sunday School in Primary Six, I read that if we have faith as small as a mustard seed we could move the mountains! Throughout my years of growing up, I had often pondered as to why God only requires faith as small as a mustard seed.

Why couldn't God ask for faith the size of a basketball or maybe a tennis ball? Or maybe the size of a golf ball or a ping pong? Or maybe something a little more conspicuous than a mustard seed .... a marble? A mustard seed is so tiny....like a little dot! I am now beginning to understand why God only needs a mustard seed from us, His two legged creation.

As the great Creator, He understands how we have been made. It is so difficult for people to have faith. Some even had the privilege of witnessing some of the miracles that Jesus had performed....yet they still did not believe!

Let us consider our own interaction with one another. Have you not experienced doubts expressed by someone who should not have doubted you at all, given that you have helped the person and have proven your responsibility and committment?

During the past three times when I was moving from one home to another, I had decided to use the movers operated by the drug addict ministry. Each time, I had never asked them to quote me, because I would always given them more than what they would charge by way of supporting the ministry. I also decided to bless the workers with a meal...either lunch or dinner for their hard work. Recently after my big move, my best friend, Amu, wanted to give me a pine wood dining table with 4 chairs, and 2 easy chairs...just what I would need. I found out that most commercial movers would charge $50/- per trip. I called the drug addict ministry.

When I handed the supervisor an ang pow (red packet) I was surprised, he received it with hesitation and said, "My boss said to collect $120/- from you. My eldest sister who was staying with me while on vacation exclaimed, "What .... so much to move just these few light items?"

I told my sis it was alright as I wanted to support them. I smiled and took the ang pow back and paid $120/- as requested and suddenly thought of the mustard seed! How realistic of God in His expectation of us. Oh! God! Help me to develop my little mustard seed of faith in you to be slightly bigger, like the size of a marble! You are indeed worthy of all our trust and faith in You.!

No comments: