Monday, August 27, 2007

The Purity of Children's Art

 

 

The lovely children's art on display at the IRAS Building at Novena

I had to see the officer at the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore. When I went to the building, I saw some huge display of children's art on one of the walls.

I love children's art. Children show their purity, innocence and spontaneity in their art. My eldest brother, Kee Yong, used to conduct art classes in his music school. I enjoyed watching the children paint as they immersed themselves in their own little world of perceiving things as they are.

Before my brother moved to his music school, he used to conduct art classes in his home. I was often asked to help keep an eye on the children after classes. I often enjoyed listening to the children talking among themselves.

Once I heard two boys asking one little girl, "What do you want to be when you grow up, huh?

"I want to be an astonaut", she replied....missing out on the "r" probably due to her missing front teeth".

"What? Astronaut? Cannot lah. You be ballerina. We boys go to the moon!"

"I want to be astonaut" repeated the little girl.

"No lah...you stay at home and be ballerina."

"I want to be astonaut" asserted the little girl.

"You so skinny....you stay home and be ballerina".

"I WANT to be astonaut" the little girl insisted and this time, she burst into tears.

I ran to her rescue. "Ok...boys....let her be an astronaut."

The little girl must now be in her thirties. I wonder if she still holds on to her dream.

Ah! The purity and innocence of children!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: