Friday, August 10, 2007

Stand Up, Stand Up for Singapore?

 

 

 

The wonderful and efficient staff at Singtel, Exeter Road

I had taken my two mobiles out of my pockets when I went into the Ladies' washroom at our Toa Payoh office at HDB Hub. After an hour, when I realised my phones missing, it was too late....someone had pocketed my handphones. Not much of a find, I guess, for my two phones were almost in disrepair for they would get disconnected while I was half way through a conversation. I had difficulty pressing the keys to sms. My friends kept asking me to change the phones. Hence, with the loss, I found myself heading for Singtel at Exeter Road, near Sommerset MRT Station.

I knew that Singtel had undergone some renovation and was looking forward to seeing what changes have been made. I was surprised that the new counters have no seats.....the staff as well as customers have to stand! I noticed one young boy slouching his upper part of the body and placing his head and chin on the counter, with his body in arched position. I guess if customers feel tired, how about the poor staff who have to stand almost 8 to 10 hours a day!

This time, I was given two free new models as my contracts have expired. As I am not adept at learning new gadgets it took me a while to master the use of the phones. I am grateful for my friend's patience. I then realised that I could not retrieve my old numbers from my SIM card. My friend told me I should inform the officer who would then download the numbers for me. The previous time, when I changed my mobiles, the numbers were automatically transferred.

I guess it is not easy working on our feet. In our company, we can look at listings on the computers which are placed quite high up so that agents have to stand to work at the computers. I already find it tiring to stand for just a few minutes.

I wonder what is the great idea that Singtel has for its counter staff to stand when working? Does it really improve productivity? If it does, I would like to know more about Singtel's rationale. Why does no one protest? Do people just do something because they have been told to do so? What consequences can be dervied when a person stands for unnecessarily long hours? Or are the staff, dressed in bright red T-shirts with a tinge of white, standing up for Singapore even when at work? :-)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: