Saturday, April 18, 2009

Nutz About Nuts; Nutz About Life!


Packet of mixed macadamia, hazel, walnuts and hazel nuts


Lotus seeds with and without husks


Ginkgo nuts and soya beans


Red beans, kidney beans and baked beans


It is interesting how our tastes for food can change over time. I used to like meat, but now I do not savour meat dishes. Now I prefer nuts, beans and lentils. In fact, I am nutz about nuts! You name it, I love it! Cashew, macadamia, peanuts, pistachios, pine nuts, candle nuts, red beans, green beans, soy beans, etc. I also enjoy baked beans for breakfast.

Beans, nuts and lentils have a lot of fibre. Some if not all of them are also rich in proteins. We can use the kidney beans when we cook vegetarian pasta in tomato sauce. It is also easy to pack nuts and bring them with us wherever we go. I would usually bring some and eat a few nuts when I am hungry. This is a healthier option for snacks than some fried stuff.
As my two tenants, Avinesh and Jasmin, are also vegetarians, it reinforces my habit and preference for things that grow on trees or are dug from the ground.
I guess everything is a matter of taste and one man's meat is another man's poison. I am nutz about nuts, but it is more important to be nutz about life!
Gan Chau



Posted by Picasa

No comments: