Thursday, April 09, 2009

Taking time to wander as a cloud......


"We're looking for crabs and oysters!" Daniel, half standing, Samuel and Sophia


"There're so many oysters here!" exclaimed Debra (in green t-shirt and Phobe)



"Look, what's in my hand?" asked Gloria.

Fallen yellow flowers in abundance on the ground and cars.

Eldest sister had wanted to see my niece Kam Ning before she flies back to London. A great cook, she had cooked some delicious lunch and we ate together at home. Sister drove out from Johore with her husband, sons Daniel and Samuel with his family and maid. Ati, the maid fried delicious noodles. Ning also played "Amazing Grace" for us on the violin since sister and her family missed the President's Command Performance.

We went to the East Coast Park. I seldom go to the East Coast, but now I think I will try to go there more often as I enjoy the lovely sea and greenery. Also it was such great fun cycling along the coast. Brother-in-law Steven was surprised that one can cycle for a long time as the stretch of road is so long. My sister and family were full of admiration for the cleanliness in Singapore.

When we were about to leave in the evening, we realised that a lot of yellow flowers were coming down from the trees. Wow! How beautiful ! Suddenly I was reminded of autumn season in Canada, where carpets of yellow, red and brown leaves could be found on the ground. How wonderful if we could have autumn season in Singapore! But the poor street cleaners will have plenty to sweep.!

I came back, feeling very exhausted and somewhat unwell. Maybe I had just recovered from my flu and the day's activities were somewhat too ambitious for me. I slept very early, hoping to recover faster.

Just before sleep overcame me, I thought of so many wonderful places that we could enjoy in Singapore. Yet so many of us are often too busy with our work and life that we have little time for relaxation. Now, I will try to make it a point to make time for relaxation.....maybe just go to the beach and do some cycling, or even reading and finding some inspiration for poetry writing.

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
- (William Wordsworth)
I may not be able to find a host of golden daffodils, but I will certainly find an ocean of deep, blue waters if only I would take time to wander as a cloud, instead of always running around like a little chicken with half a head!
Gan Chau

No comments: