Monday, April 27, 2009

Hee Ah - the Wonderful Four Finger Pianist

A South Korean woman born with only four fingers is defying the odds by becoming a professional pianist playing concerts worldwide.

A South Korean concert pianist is wowing audiences across the midwest.

The first thing you notice at Hee Ah Lee's concerts is the music. Strikingly beautiful music.

It's then you glance down to see that the pianist has only four fingers, two on each hand.

Hee Ah was born with a condition called phocomelia, which also left her with no legs below her knees. She stands just three feet tall, and must exert considerable effort even when climbing up on a piano bench.

"From when I was very young I never thought I was different from other people," she said before a performance at the Rotary Club of Edina, in Minnesota. "To this date, I thank God for endowing me with such a beautiful talent."

Hee Ah began playing piano at age six, for physical therapy, to give her strength to hold onto a pencil or spoon.

It's fair to say the instrument agreed with her. She now performs for a living at concerts around the world.

This tour is Hee Ah's first visit to Minnesota.

"I want disabled people to feel that they can do as well," she says. "They shouldn't lament what they don't have, but celebrate what they have already."

The above was sent by my toastmaster friend, Prof. Saw. I cried when I heard Hee Ah. I have been complaining about my banana fingers which are somewhat too short for me to play the violin with ease. But here is a young lady with only two fingers on each hands. Hee Ah has truly given me inspiration to press on with my violin practice.

Praise God for endowing Hee Ah with such great talent. Hee Ah's joy, optimism and thankfulness will truly inspire everyone.

No comments: