Monday, June 22, 2009

Much Ado About Swans and Swan Lake

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


Yesterday, my tenant, Jasmine and I took a guest, Chetan, from India to visit the Botanical Garden. We saw four lovely swans gliding gracefully on the lake. Immediately I thought of the lovely ballet music by Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake.

The lovely white swans also reminded me of an incident. I used to run Rialto Italian Cuisine and we often had home parties for our Indian clients who love our vegetarian pastas, pizzas and tiramisu. Once we were asked by a regular client to cater some food for his daughter's 16th birthday party. The host had also set up a pavilion by the poolside with different caterers for Thai, French and North Indian cuisines. There was also a free flow of soft and alcoholic drinks.

I met the photographer and he whispered to me, "Do you know what business the host is doing?" he asked.

"No", I replied nonchalantly.

"He's in the diamond business!"

"So?" I knitted my eyebrows, wondering what he was driving at?

"If I had known that, I would have quoted him a higher fee for my photography work!"
he said.

"Please lah. Whether my customer sells roti prata or diamonds, I will still charge him the same price. You don't charge someone a higher price just because he is rich."

Wow! The hostess was so elegantly clad in her sari, and someone whispered to me that the glittering stones on her sari could be real diamonds! The guests were also as glamorous with their graceful and gorgeous saris. The men wore costumes that we seldom see when we go to the office or shopping at Orchard Road. I was mesmerised by the colour, gaiety and beauty around me.

When I went down to the lower floor of the condominium, I was surprised to find a big pond and there were two beautiful swans. For the first time I saw a swan at close range and realised how flawlessly and snowy white and smooth were the feathers. It dawned upon me the absolute beauty and craftsmanship of nature by the great Creator. Suddenly all the beautiful saris and even the ones studded with diamonds pale in comparison!

Suddenly the verse in Matthew Chap.6 vs. 28 to 29 came to mind.

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow.! They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you that not even King Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.

That night, I left the party with my staff at 1 a.m. with a spring in my steps and a song in my heart.

Gan Chau

No comments: